TI PCM3070 microprocessor beginner problem

onuryildiz

Joined Feb 3, 2015
I want to design a audio codec by using Texas Instruments PCM3070 microprocessor. First of all, lets assume I designed the circuit but I do not know what device or kit I need in order to transfer my code from computer to this processor. There are some devices called Evaluation Module or Launch Pad, are these what I need? What are differences between these devices, and which is the device I need (Evaluation Module, Launch Pad, or something else)? Best Regards

Hop

Joined Feb 14, 2013
Both the MSP430 AND the PCM3070 require programming.

Also, cross-posting to different forums is considered rude by some moderators.

Hop

Joined Feb 14, 2013
From the schematic/block diagram, MSP sends orders to the PCM using I2C bus.
Yes. The PCM requires "re-programming" from a "master" controller, such as the TI MSP430 series, after every power-up cycle, although it does have "standby" and "sleep" modes that preserve the internal register states. Although the I²C interface appears to be preferred, it can also be programmed to work with Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) standard so it can be easily controlled by the popular Arduino.

This chip appears to be like a Tinkertoy® set for audio signal processing, with two DSP modules capable of performing more than a thousand operations per audio sample, one DSP closely coupled to the ADC and the other closely coupled to the DAC. I wouldn't know where to begin configuring or programming this puppy without a specific application in mind AND a working evaluation board to download DSP algorithms into. Texas Instruments does provide a library of DSP algorithms that can be "cut and pasted" using their Pure Path Studio Graphical Development Environment. There is also an application note that provides comprehensive details of PCM3070 internal register programming requirements.