This thread was created by moderators because post was not on topic - in off-topic

What the heck?

• Did someone complain?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'd rather hang out with people who are trying 'smarten me up' to get me to their level rather than 'dumb me down' so that they don't have to work/think so hard. ;)
So you finally understand I'm trying to discourage people from inviting themselves to my den.

GopherT Note:
Please take the poll to let me know if the thread referenced below (by unnamed mod) only stared drifting off-topic at my post. (Note how the text I quoted had nothing to do with government shutdown - who is the great decider? Who complained (The TS said she was going to be gone for several weeks). Weird stuff.

Moderator's Note:
Please don't hijack other member's thread, now you have your own.
This thread was split from --
Chances of US Govt shutdown April 28 2017?
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...down-april-28-2017.134667/page-3#post-1123876

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So you finally understand I'm trying to discourage people from inviting themselves to my den.
Not in the least. Are they homeless and desperate? Never got to know the real you? You're bipolar and 'Up' personality A invited them over without 'Down' personality B knowing about it? o_O :p

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Not in the least. Are they homeless and desperate? Never got to know the real you? You're bipolar and 'Up' personality A invited them over without 'Down' personality B knowing about it? o_O :p
So all of my personalities just look like either "A" or "B" to you? You are so sheltered.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So all of my personalities just look like either "A" or "B" to you? You are so sheltered.
No really. I never claimed you were either. It was an implied guess towards a possible explanation.

Most everyone here knows you're not stupid or suffering from multiple personalities. You're just pathetic plus have bad reading comprehension which you try to hide behind acting stupid or with bad attempts at humor that just reinforce the two rather than diminish them. :oops:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Gopher your going to have to work harder to be a member of the club. Me and Ron have your membership credentials ready to sign.

And he is sheltered. "Sawyer is a city in Ward County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 357 at the 2010 census. Est. 2015 346 [7] −3.1% " From, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawyer,_North_Dakota
Pretty soon he'll have the whole place to himself.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Sawyer with a population of 357 is a city? I know you Americans tend to exaggerate but this to me is going a bit too far. Don't you have villages or towns in the United States?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Sawyer with a population of 357 is a city? I know you Americans tend to exaggerate but this to me is going a bit too far. Don't you have villages or towns in the United States?
Um.... what? o_O

Yes the US has towns and villages. Why wouldn't we? :confused:

I've seen cities with less than 50...
Like much of the the world we have former towns/village locations with the names still attached to the land but no real community other than single home or farm there or nearby to represent it.

Townships without a town would be a fair description of them now.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A very long time ago I drove by a sign that said, "Aberdeen Indiana, Population 19"
Do you call that a town or 4 families?:confused:
I'm thinking there must be a political reason to do all the paperwork to carve out a legal Incorporation for 4 or 5 houses.o_O

There used to be a place called, "Cork, Kentucky".
Population was about 40...all of them my relatives except two families.
The only reason it had a name is that there was a u.s. government post office there. One room, one clerk.
The post office closed probably 40 or 50 years ago but the name persists on road signs like, "Cork-Glaston Road".
Several of those old roads didn't have names until the 1980's. I know because I helped name them!
Instructions used to be like: Take the left fork of the north road out of town, about 5 miles to a rusty tractor on the right. Next right turn and a mile to Cork. Take a right, right at the tee, first driveway at the bottom of the hill.

Anyway... @tcmtech
Old joke about North Dakota:
Don't forget to turn out the lights when you leave.;)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Instructions used to be like: Take the left fork of the north road out of town, about 5 miles to a rusty tractor on the right. Next right turn and a mile to Cork. Take a right, right at the tee, first driveway at the bottom of the hill.
We still have that location referencing system here despite street signs. Heck 2/3's of my local reference points are based off the names of the people who once owned certain places that left years ago. Some were old farmstead locations that are now just part of the adjacent fields and give no indications that anything was ever there. :(

Also back in high school we had a North Dakota history class and at some point one question on a major test was to name 10 towns in the state that don't exist any more. :p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think it is mostly about the legal status. You can Incorporate a city, but the word, "village" has no legal standing.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
2/3's of my local reference points are based off the names of the people who once owned certain places but left years ago.
The, "names of local people" idea was the guiding principle when naming roads near Cork, Kentucky. One road was entirely built by a fellow (my cousin) named Joe, but he didn't live on that road in the year of naming, so it was named after his brother, who did live on that road, that year. That road name is the only one that I feel something is wrong about. The, "pioneer" who actually built the road was denied proper recognition.:mad:
A few years later, Joe moved to a house on the road named the same as his brother.:confused:

I would have named the road that splits my family farm, "Teresa Lane" (for my dead sister) but no, "first" names were allowed.:( So it has the surname of my grandfather.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The, "names of local people" idea was the guiding principle when naming roads near Cork, Kentucky. One road was entirely built by a fellow (my cousin) named Joe, but he didn't live on that road in the year of naming, so it was named after his brother, who did live on that road, that year. That road name is the only one that I feel something is wrong about. The, "pioneer" who actually built the road was denied proper recognition.:mad:
A few years later, Joe moved to a house on the road named the same as his brother.:confused:

I would have named the road that splits my family farm, "Teresa Lane" (for my dead sister) but no, "first" names were allowed.:( So it has the surname of my grandfather.
Where I am at everyting is based on numbers but uses two different reference points in the final address so nothing makes sense.

I live on county road but the street and avenue references are from one town but the town and zip code come from another town in the other direction so going by my official address you would think my house is near 20 miles in the opposite direction from where its at. So far off in fact it appears I should be located least two full existing towns away from where I am! :confused:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gopher your going to have to work harder to be a member of the club. Me and Ron have your membership credentials ready to sign.

And he is sheltered. "Sawyer is a city in Ward County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 357 at the 2010 census. Est. 2015 346 [7] −3.1% " From, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawyer,_North_Dakota
Pretty soon he'll have the whole place to himself.

Shortbus,
I started Graduate school in North Dakota thinking that a PhD is a PhD. I soon realized I was wrong and applied to some big10 schools. Before I left, the Governor came to campus to discuss the Norh Dakota "Brain Drain" (people graduate and leave the state). He was hoping to slow the outflow back then. I was invite to one of his "round table discussions" because I already announced I was leaving.

Since then, there has been an influx from the oil rush.

Anyhow, the two effects
1) Brain Drain issue is the 1980s to 2000
2) influx of men with weak minds and strong backs for oil rush

You can probably guess where I'm going with this story...
Enough said.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You can probably guess where I'm going with this story...
I'm guessing your going the same place you always go. Where you figure opinions and facts are interchangeable yet they are not and thus fail to make a valid point regarding the subject you brought up. :rolleyes:

But to be fair technically the confirmable statistical data kinda makes it look like maybe some of our dummies may have moved to PA. :D

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/50_states_ranked_by_intelligen.html

ND 14. PA 26 :(

Also I have lived here my whole life and don't come in with the oil industry. Plus when I was in the oilfields I was in a technical position, not laborer, which is where the smart people work in the oilfields. You do know what technicians do right? We make big money to sit our butts all day and watch everyone else work. :D

Now for insulting my home town. Big whoop. :rolleyes:
It's been a crap hole way longer than I have been here. There's a reason I sent my 20 year reunion invite back with the 'too far away to attend.' box marked and I live within a 10 minute drive of the school. :p

BTW, unless you forgot, I'm not one of the three who played too stupid to understand simple concepts game for months just get out of having to man up and defend my beliefs so trying to imply I am dumb by largely non associative and poorly assumed false proxies really doesn't make me look stupid in any way, whereas for you goobers.... this pretty much makes this look like another idiots fail to most everyone else plus the fact you simpletons obviously can't let it go doesn't make any of you look any too bright either. :oops: :eek:

So feel free to vote each other a round of agreement votes for your posts to 'build up your street cred' because we all know no one else will. ;)