Thinking about installing a passive bluetooth antenna on my Weber gril

zirconx

Joined Mar 10, 2010
Hi, looking for some advice about a getting a bluetooth signal through my weber grill. I use a Meater bluetooth thermometer probe in my meat to know when it's perfectly done. This produces great results when everything works. But often the receiver loses connectivity to the probe inside my kettle grill. Even though the receiver-repeater is pretty much as close as I can get it to the grill.

I'm wondering if a passive repeater would help? I'm thinking of drill a hole in the side and then installing something in it. Like a 62mm metal rod, which should be a simple 31mm 1/4 wave antenna on each side of the kettle wall? I'd have to figure out an insulator, I'm thinking of mounting it inside a washer or something using JB Weld to insulate it in the center of the washer. Then bolt it in place.

Another idea would be to just drill a (larger) hole, then fill it with something that blocks the hot air but allows RF to pass through. Maybe JB Weld, or JB Weld a piece of tile over it.

Think any of this would help?

1662261563227.png

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The grill becomes a nice fermi cage and blocks most every wavelength. Conductive shells are not good for RF.

you can cut/drill a large hole and fill it with something made of non-metallic material (ceramic). Try it with a steel bushel basket first so you don't ruin the lid. One cheap option is to go to a thrift store and buy a nice porcelain saucer. Cut a 5" hole in the Weber. Set the plate in place and use some short pieces of sheet metal screwed into the lid to hold the ceramic plate in place. it will look great.

I've been making great fish (salmon, sea bass, tilapia - most recently), chicken, turkey, pork roasts, and steaks of all types for the past 40-years on my Weber kettle. I've never used a thermometer - or a Bluetooth anything. I must be doing something wrong.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I think your antenna idea has some merit. High temerature feedthroughs are made for industrial, scientific and automotive applications. Unfortunately, they are very expensive.

You could make your own, though, with one of these. You will need just under 5” on each side of the grill wall for a ¼ wave. If you grill a just-press-fit hole the grill and use JB Weld ExtremeHeat to hold it in place, you could out a 10” wire through it fixed in place with the same cement.

Having 5” of wire poking into the grill might be a problem but perhaps you could find a good place for it. I think it would probably work but if it didn’t the hole is small enough to plug effectively.