Thinking about a guitar amp project

oidium45

Joined Apr 24, 2010
... Is it small enough so you get wear it on yourself while playing?...
I have seen a similar design crammed into a 9v battery caseing. Look it up on instructables.com called "pocket protest". It varies in size depending upon what you want it to sound like and what features you would like available. It is probably not something that you would want to use for recording but for about $5-10 in parts it is not too bad. Look up Ruby amp on youtube and you will get an idea of how they sound.

Canada, you say? dsp_redux, you share a country with Mr Tone Lizard, who has a page on Canadian amps. The rest of the site is mostly very good, but he's a bit too keen on the debunking, and dismisses an awful lot of things that are not only true but quantifiable and demonstrable. That aside, it's a pretty good site if you can sort the wheat from the chaff, and I can't criticise too much as it's not as if I've written a site that's better. Part of the trouble with valve design is that the skills all but died out during the 70s/80s when the engineers who knew their hollow-state stuff either retired, died, or lost the opportunity to share their knowledge, and this left a vacuum that was filled with a confusing mix of hard fact and nonsense.

If you buy a Celestion Blue, I really hope you like it, as you'll hate me if you don't, for they're not cheap, and it's a very coloured sound. But I like 'em, even through a transistor amp. Maybe wrangle a way to play on one with other equipment you're familiar with, that should be a good test drive.