Thevenin Help?

paulmc

Joined Aug 1, 2006
sorry i cant offer any advice on the circuit,but i was wondering how i would get pictures on to this site, so everyone can view my question as many ppl dont want to open a file. cheers

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
circuithead said:
I'm rather new at this circuit stuff-- feeling a bit silly asking about this, but I'm stuck on this Thevenin equation, dunno how to start. Any ideas how to begin this equation? Which two resistances to reduce first?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/neon_dustbunnies/thevenin.jpg

Please respond ASAP
Take a look at the example that is presented in the AAC Tutorial and see it that helps you get a better feel for solving your problem.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/7.html/thevenin

hgmjr

circuithead

Joined Aug 1, 2006
Thanks. So I suppose I should deactivate the voltage source and parallel 6 and 4, then add that to 2 and parallel that to 12?

After that, how would I find Voc? Sorry, this is just confusing me.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings circuithead,

I noticed that your diagram indicates a voltage source that has no specific value. Did you accidentally omit the voltage or is the voltage source intended be a general voltage source with value V.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
circuithead,

I have attached a diagram of a simplified version of the circuit you are trying to analyze. Since the voltage source is ideal, it is possible to separate the 20 ohm path from the 2,4, and 6 ohm path as shown. You should now be able to work on reducing the 2,4, and 6 ohm path by applying Thevenin's Method. Once you have reduced the 2,4, and 6 ohm path to a single resistance and calculated the new Thevenin's equivalent voltage source, you will then be able to calculate the voltage at the output point and the Thevenin's equivalent resistance at the output terminals.

This is just one of the ways to tackle this problem.

hgmjr

Attachments

circuithead

Joined Aug 1, 2006
hgmjr said:
Greetings circuithead,

I noticed that your diagram indicates a voltage source that has no specific value. Did you accidentally omit the voltage or is the voltage source intended be a general voltage source with value V.

hgmjr
I did forget the voltage value, but I should be able to calculate it now.

Thanks for all your help. :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
circuithead said:
I did forget the voltage value, but I should be able to calculate it now.

Thanks for all your help. :)
Hopefully, you will have smooth sailing from this point on.

If you hit any more snags please let me know.

It will be helpful if you will post your efforts up to the point at which you encounter a problem if you need any followup assistance.

How about posting your results and I will compare them with the ones that I obtained.

Good Luck,
hgmjr