There is a rule...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
One rule, if attended to, would eliminate so many dead end threads here:

You can't get out more than you put in.

And, it's corollary:

The harder you try to get out more than you put in, the worse it gets.

It's something of a reframing of Ginsberg's Theorem.

[EDIT: Needed to make things impossible by adding "'t"]

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
well for rule to hold, it really need to define better what is it that goes "in" and "out". ;)

context matters (over unity) but from pure 'consumer' perspective, that does not hold in all situations.
otherwise that would make mosquitos and anteaters go extinct.
same goes for forum. some members may not post at all (zero "in") but find things useful (get something "out")

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
well for rule to hold, it really need to define better what is it that goes "in" and "out". ;)

that would make mosquitos and anteaters go extinct.
same goes for forum. some members may not post at all (zero "in") but find things useful (get something "out")
The power of the rule is its heuristic quality. It's a general case and the specification of inputs and outputs must be applied to practical attempts to violate the laws of physics in the poster's own special way.

I think the most common case is simply not considering the rule, which would lead to discarding the question before even posting it.

But you are correct in noting that it is often the mistaken belief in mythical inputs and outputs that disorder the TS's thinking.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Do as I say not as I do! Have you seen the advertisement on this site from digikey for the components for rail guns? :rolleyes:
But officially I'm cool with that!
It keeps all the weirdos out what's next crystal balls. But I could edit that too and put my original brass ones in.
Just kidding!

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
No motivation of site owner to apply this "rule" because thread activity drives SEO which drives future traffic. Google has no way to determine the quality of a thread, nor do they care as long as it has eyes & interest that they measure by activity. New user, old user, same user - Google doesn't care.