The Winter is Very Hard

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am one of those people that suffer from fairly serious SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I do all sorts of things to mitigate it, with varying success. Exercise, full spectrum light, and SAMe all help but the most help is when the weather isn't gloomy.

It's been pretty dim for a while, but today the sun, wintry though it is, has come out to light things up. I look forward to spring.

fullsizeoutput_c28.jpeg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Add 6 inches of snow on the ground and that would look like my area. :eek:

Have you tried vitamin D? I had a blood test for it and found out that I'm far below the recommended range. Now I'm taking pills with every meal to get my level up. The test required just a drop of blood on a card I mailed in.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Add 6 inches of snow on the ground and that would look like my area. :eek:

Have you tried vitamin D? I had a blood test for it and found out that I'm far below the recommended range. Now I'm taking pills with every meal to get my level up. The test required just a drop of blood on a card I mailed in.
Yes, we need vitamin D pretty much year round here because there just isn't enough sun.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
....And a couple of trucks parked on the river, ice fishing in progress.;)
Max.
We have intrepid fisherman in boats who are out so long as the river isn't actually frozen. We don't get low temps for long enough to freeze the river solid, though we came close during the recent polar vortex.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am one of those people that suffer from fairly serious SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I do all sorts of things to mitigate it, with varying success. Exercise, full spectrum light, and SAMe all help but the most help is when the weather isn't gloomy.

It's been pretty dim for a while, but today the sun, wintry though it is, has come out to light things up. I look forward to spring.

View attachment 170671

And where is this?

I am one of those people that suffer from fairly serious SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
full spectrum light,
...When "circadia" ain't got rhythm...;)

FWIW I find that indoor illumination via 175W CLEAR Hg vapor HIDs work veritable wonders in that regard (i.e. are significantly superior to other 'daylight' lamp products for the purpose)...

Note that safe indoor operation requires that each lamp is contained within an airtight UV-attenuative vessel (as, for instance, a one gallon glass food-service jar -- with a metal lid modified to accommodate the socket)

Example of a 'quick and dirty' --albeit highly effective-- Hg 'lantern'...
HGHID.JPG

Best regards
HP:)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
FWIW I find that indoor illumination via 175W CLEAR Hg vapor HIDs work veritable wonders in that regard (i.e. are significantly superior to other 'daylight' lamp products for the purpose)...
I use a CFL product, for an hour each morning. Since my routine includes an hour on the treadmill in the morning, I use it then. It does seem to help, though things are so complex it’s hard to know what is helping and what isn’t,

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Do you know the source of most of the vitamin D comes from? It's probably the only vitamin your body can make on its own, you know that don't you? Don't think so or you wouldn't make fun of "natural vitamin D".
Shortbus FWIW I say @BR-549's just making point that ppl can sell anything to _general public_ just by putting _natural_ in descriptiono_O! Which when u think on it is vry silly and dangerous perspective considering fact that almost all poisons and other injurious agents like pathogens, fire, ionizing radiation, stones and pointed sticks are 100% natural:D:rolleyes:!

Saluki

Joined Feb 23, 2019
I was surprised to learn how much I need, probably about 10,000IU daily. I had been taking only about 1000IU until I got the test results.
Wow!

Maybe I should get retested - it's been a few years... (I only take 1000 IU daily, myself. But I've actually re-energized a bit this winter: Possibly just out of desperation to get stuff done!)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Shortbus FWIW I say @BR-549's just making point that ppl can sell anything to _general public_ just by putting _natural_ in descriptiono_O! Which when u think on it is vry silly and dangerous perspective considering fact that almost all poisons and other injurious agents like pathogens, fire, ionizing radiation, stones and pointed sticks are 100% natural:D:rolleyes:!
You must have a better "worth" of his normal posting than I do. I really doubt he knows sunlight working on skin is where most of the body's available vitamin D comes from. The vitamin D that is usable by the body.

Also if the light HP posted causes the skin to produce vitamin D wouldn't that vitamin be natural? More natural to the body than the chemical based ones in a pill?

You must have a better "worth" of his normal posting than I do. I really doubt he knows sunlight working on skin is where most of the body's available vitamin D comes from. The vitamin D that is usable by the body.

Also if the light HP posted causes the skin to produce vitamin D wouldn't that vitamin be natural? More natural to the body than the chemical based ones in a pill?
@Aleph(0) @shortbus @BR-549

Without wishing to enter the fray, as it were;):cool: -- I believe a clarification is in order:oops:

Actually... My suggestion of the HID lamp was merely by way of mitigation of the purely psychological aspects of SAD -- Its UV output is minimal by design - hence its safe 24/7 use as a splendid source of ambient illumination!:)

Please note that the borosilicate envelope (i.e. 'outer bulb') filters off most of the broad-band UV emanating from the UV-lucent SiO2 arc vessel while the jar further reduces same to sub (indoor) background levels...

My rationale for containment of the lamp within a hermetically sealed glass jar (for indoor operation) is threefold:

1) To prevent UV injury/excessive exposure should the borosilicate envelope fail leaving the arc vessel intact -- To wit: The glass jar will utterly block UVC and higher PE UV energy while greatly attenuating UVB/A.

2) To prevent personal injury and to safeguard indoor air quality via containment of shrapnel and Hg vapor in the event of arc-vessel disruption with corollary borosilicate envelope breakage ... (It happens!:eek:)

3) To further attenuate 'post-envelope' UV to levels ≤ that from standard incandescent lamps:)

Very best regards

Last edited: