The Thunderbirds just flew over my home!

Thread Starter

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
Been around since the mid 50s along with the C 130 another classic workhorse. Bummer as to the overcast and learning curve with the camera. Next year! :)

Ron

Toured a C130 as well. We have a fairly large fleet right here in Pittsburgh. I often see them flying over my home. It is an awesome and distinctive noise. But they are tiny by comparison to something like the C17.
 

Thread Starter

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
Back, October 7th 2011, I was lucky to experience part of the Blue Angels show both from a ferry heading into San Francisco Harbor and later from the dock.

In fact, it was not planned to end our tour of Western United States National Parks to experience a part of Fleet Week.

View attachment 126770

View attachment 126771

Did you take these? Or are they stock photos?

If you took them then talk about being in the right place at the right time! Point and shoot or an SLR with a long lens?
 

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
5,784
Here in Tucson, we get a treat every late Winter when AF & friends practice formation flying. Combinations
of an F16 with two of P38, P51, P47 or A10.
 

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
7,952
Toured a C130 as well. We have a fairly large fleet right here in Pittsburgh. I often see them flying over my home. It is an awesome and distinctive noise. But they are tiny by comparison to something like the C17.
Back in the day I flew home from Nam in a C141 Starlifter but while in Nam at DaNang the C5 Galaxy was impressive. They would fly in low and slow loaded with battle ready tanks on them. Marine air I had many hours in the C130 as the Marines used them for everything. I just love a good airshow. Come Labor Day if the Cleveland Show looks to be a good one this year you and Gopher can come visit. We can catch the Rock Hall and the Air Show over a few days.

Ron
 

Thread Starter

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
I just love a good airshow. Come Labor Day if the Cleveland Show looks to be a good one this year you and Gopher can come visit. We can catch the Rock Hall and the Air Show over a few days.

Ron
Sounds like fun.

If that doesn't work out, one of these days I want ride a loop, up PA bicycle Route A, over to Cleveland then down the Ohio an Erie Canal Trail then back to Pittsburgh. But then again I have been planning that for years. ;)
 

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
7,952
The Ohio & Erie Canal is pretty neat. The history and concept were really cool for the day, especially how the towpath operated. I cheat now as my bike sort of has a motor. :) I do have some real nice motorcycle routs planned down through the Smokey Mountains in NC, hopefully I will make those trips.

Ron
 

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
476
Did you take these? Or are they stock photos?

If you took them then talk about being in the right place at the right time! Point and shoot or an SLR with a long lens?
It's my own pictures, but actually photographed with anything but optimal D-SLR equipment:
Canon EOS 350D and Canon EFS 17-85 mm 4-5.6 IS USM
The images are cropped strongly and scaled to about half size.
 
Top