The Psychological Need to Compensate.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Just as the vast majority of people react in 15 Common Defense Mechanisms......http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/15-common-defense-mechanisms/all/1/

....as these vast majority of the whole Human Race react within these 15 outlined Groups, each grouping with it's own specifics and conditions of psychologically that has been classified as A NEED TO COMPENSATE for something that everyone of these people either...LACK, BELIEVE THEY LACK, FEEL THEY LACK...OR HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY LACK.

Now within these 15 Common Defense Mechanisms which the link I provided details in depth...one of them is known as...#14. COMPENSATION...and I am quoting this from the link provided...

Compensation is a process of psychologically counterbalancing perceived weaknesses by emphasizing strength in other arenas. By emphasizing and focusing on one’s strengths, a person is recognizing they cannot be strong at all things and in all areas in their lives. For instance, when a person says, “I may not know how to cook, but I can sure do the dishes!,” they’re trying to compensate for their lack of cooking skills by emphasizing their cleaning skills instead. When done appropriately and not in an attempt to over-compensate, compensation is defense mechanism that helps reinforce a person’s self-esteem and self-image.

Now even though #14. Compensation is one of the 15 Common Defense Mechanisms or CDM's...it can be argued...and argued successfully...that all 15 of these CDM's ARE EXISTING OR OCCURRING DUE TO THIS VAST MAJORITY OF SUCH PEOPLE COMPENSATING OR OVER COMPENSATING FOR SOMETHING OR THINGS THEY LACK.

Now there ARE people that exist that are either by condition and experience or by Mental Make up be that Genetic, Learned Mental Discipline or Self-Taught Logical vs. Emotional control of ones mind...that may KNOW they LACK in this area or that but due to their extreme dedication...they have learned how to PROPERLY compensate for ANY and ALL possibilities or combinations of what they might lack.

For those who cannot properly come to terms with anything they might be lacking...such people will COMPENSATE OR OVERCOMPENSATE USING ONE, SOME OR PERHAPS EVEN ALL of the 15 CDM's.

When one looks deep into this issue it can be seen that the CDM's themselves are the beginning of such COMPENSATION even though the CDM's are Mechanisms of DEFENSE that a persons psyche will generate to guard or shield such a person from a variety of issues. Still...any and all such issues are created or generated from one or another class or form or type of COMPENSATION OR OVERCOMPENSATION.

As example...as quoted from the link...

9. Displacement

Displacement is the redirecting of thoughts feelings and impulses directed at one person or object, but taken out upon another person or object. People often use displacement when they cannot express their feelings in a safe manner to the person they are directed at. The classic example is the man who gets angry at his boss, but can’t express his anger to his boss for fear of being fired. He instead comes home and kicks the dog or starts an argument with his wife. The man is redirecting his anger from his boss to his dog or wife. Naturally, this is a pretty ineffective defense mechanism, because while the anger finds a route for expression, it’s misapplication to other harmless people or objects will cause additional problems for most people.

CDM #9. Displacement...is also being created or generated by Compensation or OVERCOMPENSATION due to one LACKING something.

Split Infinity

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Swore I wouldn't comment on any more of your posts.... But thank you Splitty, for being man enough to explain your need to post the way you do. It puts a real insite on your make up.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the education. I only wish you would find a different method of compensating. Including some fantastic statement about your superman like qualities in nearly every post completely whacks your credibility, and credibility is important on a scientific site.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Thanks for the education. I only wish you would find a different method of compensating. Including some fantastic statement about your superman like qualities in nearly every post completely whacks your credibility, and credibility is important on a scientific site.
It's not easy being me.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Now certain people and in particular people who are capable of specific skills or have specific Talents have been found to be in the very small percentage of the Human Population that do not fall under the standard Psychological Profile that dictates these 15 Common Defense Mechanisms.

That does not mean that such people do not use any of the 15 CDM's or do not Compensate for certain things.

What it means is that such people are much less apt. to do so as well as they think and react in a very different way than most. Such is the case for MUSICIANS. Thus I will provide this link to detail....http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2008/10/...ns-more-frequently-than-average-people-65577/

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Musicians and others who have the ability to easily use both Left and Right Brain Hemispheres to a much greater extent than the rest of the population as well as has been found such people have on average a much Higher IQ than the average IQ of the rest of the population...tend to view and respond to any situation where #1-#15 CDM's would be the standard psychological response...in a manner that is more driven to FIX a possible perceived issue.

Where say person...(A)...within the Majority Group would respond to say a co-worker who presents a question that person (A) interprets as a slight and then after thinking about it responds in a CDM driven manner...a person...(B)...from within the Minority Group of which a Musician would be a part of...responding to the same question and both questions are applicable to both person (A) and (B)...if person (B) also perceived this question as a slight...person (B)'s response would be driven in a...DIAGNOSE AND FIX...conceptual response as the minority group of which person (B) is a member uses to a vastly greater degree both Left and Right Hemispheres of their Brain in conjunction with an ability to consult the Subconscious and because of this has a need and desire to solve the problem like a given puzzle as well as such interconnective neural abilities gives rise to certain higher degrees of empathy.

Split Infinity

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I see two people giving you a bit of a smack, then you answer them, and following that you post two (much longer) "compensatory defense mechanism" posts.

This is priceless! :D

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I see two people giving you a bit of a smack, then you answer them, and following that you post two (much longer) "compensatory defense mechanism" posts.

This is priceless! :D
What can I say RB...I am a Masochist.

Split Infinity...p.s...There is more to this topic...I am getting to a point.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
SPLIT BRAIN activity or the actions and reactions of people who's Left and Right Brain Hemispheres act independently for a variety of reasons...the most common being damage to the neural connections between the two...allow us to get a very unique and detailed picture and understanding of exactly what each Brain Hemisphere is used for in the average person.

This is a link that details such things....http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro00/web1/Vasiliadis.html

This is a quote from the link...Sperry and Gazzaniga also found that split-brain patients are less likely to talk about their feelings and emotions. In one of their patients, "Paul S." his right hemisphere was more developed in language ability before the operation. This is uncommon but does sometimes happen. The fact that Paul's right hemisphere was developed in verbal response enabled Sperry and Gazzaniga to interview both sides of the split brain. When the researchers asked the right side what he wanted to be, he answered an automobile racer while his left side stated he wanted to be a draftsman. Paul was asked other similar questions, which gave the researchers insight on the hidden differences between the hemispheres. Another patient also exhibited strange behaviors with his right and left hands. His right hand was trying to pull up his pants while the left hand was trying to pull then down. A similar incident occurred when a split-brain patient was having an argument with his wife. The patient was attacking his wife with his left hand while his right hand was defending her.

Now this link details how people with an inability for one medical reason or another...for both of the brain hemispheres to communicate and the link explains how without such connections a person will act as if they are two separate people all together.

Such separate individuality has been documented not only because of Split Brain issues but also because of many other issues some detrimental and some beneficial.

In the case of Multiple Personality disorders each separate and individual personality will have unto itself it's own psychological template and thus as to this topic...each personality will have it's own specific reality that will dictate exactly which or any of the 15 CDM's or Common Defense Mechanisms it will use as well as have it's own reason and method of Compensation or Overcompensation.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Left and Right Brain Hemisphere cooperation and communication is an ability that people have to a certain point and ability. Link...http://brainmind.com/RightBrainAwareness.html
I will quote...When listening to music, the left brain may attend to the rhythm (i.e. temporal sequences) and words, and the right hemisphere to the melody and emotion being conveyed. Similarly, when talking to a friend, loved one, or salesman, the right hemisphere may attend to the way things are being said, and the left brain may attend only to what is being said. Two different messages may be perceived.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
To another very small percentage of the population that have the ability to a much greater extent to have Left/Right Brain Hemisphere Communication and this small percentage of the population dramatically decreases to an even smaller number as Left/Right Brain Hemisphere Communication Increases.

As in the previous post and link provided us such information...without any such communication between Hemispheres...each Brain Hemisphere will show us how it is an individual unto itself and as such each brain hemisphere is an Infinite Universal Reality of Thought that has it's own consciousness, own self-awareness and it's own want's, thoughts, desires and conditions unto itself.

And as I previously stated because of this...each Brain Hemisphere must be treated as an individual as well as have it's own motivating factors and conditions as they apply to the 15 CDM's as well as Compensation.

The group that I am just now beginning to talk about is the Super Small in number group of people who have Left/Right Brain Hemisphere Communication in the extreme. The reasons for this are fairly much the same for all in this group...they all have an unusually large in number and thick and massive in Neural Connections.

However for a certain tiny percentage of this already small group the reasons for such left/right hemisphere communication is more mysterious...LINK...http://www.kurzweilai.net/unexplain...een-brain-hemispheres-without-corpus-callosum

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Although I am NEVER sick and this is mainly due to two reasons. #1...Because of what I do in all three of my...JOBS...it allows me to come into contact with many...MANY people all over the world.

When I go to countries where there is a possible risk of contracting specific diseases...I must undergo several months of shots and booster shots to prevent possible illness. Recently....I had to go to a few islands off the east cost of Sumatra and because the decision to go there was made only 34 days prior to departure...I had to get almost 60 days worth of programmed timing specific shots in only 27 days. It made me feel sick as Hell.

But regardless of the reality that such immunization regiments for a few harmful diseases that are either common or possible for a person to contract...need time for the Human body to build up immunity...I was told it was better to get the shots than to not...so I did. Even though I was sick...I was told my body was handling it very well and that many people would be down for several weeks with the reaction that is inevitable when getting so many shots so quickly over too short a time.

So because of all the shots I am constantly getting along with the immunity my body has naturally developed to ordinary Bacteria and Virus' because I encounter just so many people and have done so for decades...along with the fact I am an exercise fanatic and have been so when I was a small chubby kid in First Grade. My Military Father would not allow this and that I think 6 year old chubby kid turned into a 7 year old athlete.

Because of my Dad's foresight...I enjoy heavy workouts and high adventure activities such as SCUBA Diving and Rock Climbing mostly Free Climbing but now and then...ESPECIALLY when My Girl comes along...since she loves Rappelling...so we use Black Diamond ATC....and I first started rappelling in the Boy Scouts at the age of 13 as well as free climbing so I am fairly experienced.

Anyways...because of my Health, Exercise Regiment, Immune System constantly getting a Work Out and the damn Shots...I just don't get sick.

One day while at one of my Family Owned Businesses...the room started to spin and I got nauseous and could not continue to stand. When this happened it was shortly after Teddy Bruschi...a Linebacker with 3 Super Bowl rings for the New England Patriots had ignored similar symptoms and found out the next day he had a stroke.

Because I am a Big Fan...I had followed this story and new all the details and my symptoms were very close if not the same to his. I have been to the Hospital before and even almost died once but this was NOT due to illness or a Disease. I was brought into the emergency room of a local hospital and was immediately had my Heart checked out which was OK and given a CT scan.

The Female Doctor brought in to emergency to check out my scan came to see me and told me...We have to give you another CT scan. This made me very nervous and I asked why? She said...the first one is blurred or something happened while we were scanning you...were going to do it again. After the second scan the Female Doctor came to me and asked me if I was Left or Right handed? I told her...Both...but if I had to throw I would do so with my Right...if Arm Wrestling...I am equally good with Left or Right...and when playing instruments such as Guitar...I use my left hand to a great extent but I play drums like a Lefty...as well as Bat Lefty.

She asked me...You are a Musician? I said...Yes. She asked me a curious question next. She asked...how good are you in Math or anything that has to do with visualizing Geometric details? She said...you know like...are you good at being able to estimate how far things are from one another...and can you orient yourself as to position to other things? I told her I ALWAYS knew where North, South, East and West were no matter if the sun was out or stars were out or not as long as I first obtained a frame of reference.

She said to me...Well...that makes sense. I asked...What makes sense? She told me the reason they had to do a second scan was not because the snan was blurred or done wrong...but because I have a number of unusually large and dense Neural Connections between my Right and Left Brain Hemispheres. She said they were so pervasive she thought the scan was done wrong.

It was found out that a Virus was going around that was being transmitted Cat to Human which is unusual...and I contracted it and it gave me a very bad case of VERTIGO.

As far as the hemisphere connections...everyone has them but the minority of people that have them to such a great extent tend to be ambidextrous as well as able to be both creative as well as analytical thinkers. However in some people...such connections can create Multiple Personality Disorders. But for those who do have the connectivity...it allows them to easily access stored data from their subconscious which is like a Recording Computer and stores...EVERYTHING that our senses detect...as well as having the ability to not have one side or the other be dominant...such a person can be very good at more than one specific avenue of work or ability.

Hence the name...Split Infinity....Left and Right...two halves of one whole and Infinity divided by two...is still...Infinity.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
As my previous post applies to the topic...contrary to what some may believe about me...I have very little reason for Compensating for anything. I knew when I started this topic and my following posts that as the topic progressed to it's eventual ending...as far as my conveying a message to the membership....that just the topics name as well as my pre-planned decision to post in stages in a Time Specific manner...that some would not be able to resist commenting even though...as I now quote one of those members...I swore I would never reply to one of your posts...BUT...

I knew going in that if I posted in stages it would give certain members a Too Good to Pass Up...reason to read the topics posts and reply...which is what happened. I also made certain not to be abrasive or negative in any replies to those that posted replies to me as to ensure their participation...which is what I wanted to begin with to demonstrate to the readers of this post and those who seem to have taken an overly keen interest in any of my topics or posts which has allowed them to seek out anything that would conflict with a specific members sensibilities be they real or created for the occasion of response.

I made certain to post LINKS where members or visitors could check out the veracity of my posts as well as did not inform the membership that this TOPIC was created for TWO PURPOSES....one of those purposes being specific to one individual who knows that they are the person this topic was intended for. They know this...and I know that they know.

The second purpose was to detail the reasons why people do what they do...as well as how some misjudge the actions of others simply because they have no understanding of why others do what they do. The reason for this is THEY CANNOT UNDERSTAND because they simply are not Hard Wired with the ability to understand. Because of this...they judge the actions of others as occurring for reasons that fit their limited understanding of possible reasons. Also...because such people cannot understand their judgement and then declared reasoning of why a person said or did or posted....THIS OR THAT...is because that person is doing so to COMPENSATE FOR SOMETHING THEY LACK.

But what such people who judge a persons actions in such a manner cannot realize...nor do they even consider an obvious other possibility as their very nature will not allow them to as well as to acknowledge this very real possibility would cause their EGO to reject that possibility anyways even if by some chance their mind considers it for a moment.

That very real and obvious possibility is...this person or member that they believe is Compensating for Something they Lack...IS JUST TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING THEY HAVE OR DID. This other side of the coin is unfortunately ignored as a possibility as such EGO's have a tendency to rationalize in a manner that is..."Well...if I don't have it or have never done it or can't afford it or believe anyone that would be posting on this forum would never be able to do, afford, have...etc....so...if I don't have or done such things....NO ONE ON THIS FORUM COULD HAVE OR DONE SUCH THINGS!"

That is exactly what is going on Psychologically in the minds of such people. But even if the reality was the other side of the coin...the side of the coin that they so far have only been able to come to terms with as it is the only coin side they can come to terms with. But even if the reality was that side of the coin....what does it say about what such members or people are LACKING...when such attention is paid to WHO is posting rather than WHAT is being posted?

After all...WHY do certain members click on to a Topic or Post of another Member that they have declared as a member that they dislike or hate the members posts or hate that members topics? WHY...if they hate such things to such a degree do such members go back time and time again and interact with this Hated Person?

After all they could just not click on the Topic or Post...so why do they do it and by doing so make certain to leave a reply that is always crafted to inflict as much psychological damage as they think possible from a statement of words?

I will tell you why. Because this so called Hated Member goes out of his way to post replies to their statements asking them the question...WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU? WHY IS IT I AM SUCH A THREAT TO YOU?

Why? The reason why is they reply in such a manner as a form of COMPENSATION.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
You know, this thread is the sort of thing you should post on YOUR OWN WEB PAGE.

Then if anybody is the slightest bit interested in reading your long winded opinions they could GO THERE AND READ IT.
You don't have to worry about reading such tripe any longer.

I will dedicate my posting to the pure specific name of each forum.

What was done...is in the past...and will remain so. I urge any others that might understand they were the reasons for such topics and posts...to let the past fade away.

Split Infinity