The pets of AAC...

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I know the hunters will return within 24 hours to harvest more meat, and some will renew their 'scent" to ward off other animals ... those with more than 2 legs.

You do know that some dogs have very good sniffers. I would not want to venture a guess on how long they would be able to "sniff your byproduct."

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You do know that some dogs have very good sniffers. I would not want to venture a guess on how long they would be able to "sniff your byproduct."
I think the problem here is that a dog can tell time with his sniffer. When your scent goes stale, they know you haven't been there lately. I bought a house in 1971 that smelled like cat pee. I stopped by about 6 months ago and it still smells like cat pee in that corner! The only question left is, How stale must your scent become before the local dung donors ignore you?

I leave that as a homework exercise. :p

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I think the problem here is that a dog can tell time with his sniffer. When your scent goes stale, they know you haven't been there lately. I bought a house in 1971 that smelled like cat pee. I stopped by about 6 months ago and it still smells like cat pee in that corner! The only question left is, How stale must your scent become before the local dung donors ignore you?

I leave that as a homework exercise. :p
I think we're missing something here. Opportunity to invent the first; targeting pee ejector.:p

kv

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Babysitting a collegues Borderterrier
We use this dog to catch rodents in warehouses and grocerystores. He is with me all day long, follow me like a shaddow, but when I say the magic words and release him, the genes and instinct wakes up, and he is a killing machine. Last wednesday, we used him in a 3000 square meter store, 10 minutes later, he had found one rat, and was giving the rat a helluva time. He's called Rocky. A department in another city has the same type of dog, a few years older, and he is called Rambo. :D
Rocky.jpg

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I've seen that race of dog before... what's it called? they're extremely smart!
He's a papillon. The second one we've had. The first was a great dog, this one a little screwed up. :rolleyes:
The first won the fight with the bobcat, survived the rattlesnake (with some help), but alas, lost to the coyote. :(
@killivolt
It's interesting to see the things that seem to be breed specific vs. learned behaviors.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
There's a small street cat that I've grown fond of in the last few weeks and has proved to be very tame, and I'm thinking about adopting him.... unfortunately, there's something wrong with his tail.

casddf.jpg

Anyone here knows what kind of desease that is? Would it require expensive treatment? Perhaps @wayneh might know something about it?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The only thing that comes to mind is "mange", but that cat's tail looks more like it's burned or scarred. Can you tell if it's healthy tissue? It doesn't look broken?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bertus Off-Topic 39