The output of the amplifier is clipping

Felix Valdueza

Joined Aug 12, 2018

Can you help me how to fix this clipping amplifier sirs? I just got this design on circuitstoday.com and i want to implement it, but first I need it to have good output.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I have never seen a simple audio amplifier like this one drawn horizontally in such a mess of Multisim wires all over the place. From India.
Of course the output is clipping, because the input level is too high. All amplifiers produce clipping when their input level is too high.
Since this one has only two diodes instead of four, it will produce crossover distortion at low output levels, class-B instead of class-AB.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I have never seen a simple audio amplifier like this one drawn horizontally in such a mess of Multisim wires all over the place. From India.
Of course the output is clipping, because the input level is too high. All amplifiers produce clipping when their input level is too high.
Since this one has only two diodes instead of four, it will produce crossover distortion at low output levels, class-B instead of class-AB.
Audioguru, have you not read the underscored message about being courteous?
It is not drawn in a style that you instantly recognised but it accurately represents the circuit in question.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The amplifier's output is supposed to be completely symmetrical with positive at the top and negative at the bottom but in the maze of wires on the Multisim schematic the two Darlington transistors don't even line up with each other and are rotated oddly. Many of the crossing wires can be replaced with GND symbols.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I agree that the schematic is a mess.
I didn't even recognize it as an audio amplifier at first.
I'm sure it was drawn much better in the circuitstoday.com site where he found it.
All the TS had to do was copy the format from that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Quote: crutschow, post: 1296132, member: 19451"
I'm sure it was drawn much better in the circuitstoday.com site where he found it.

Nope. http://www.circuitstoday.com/150-watt-amplifier-circuit :(
My appologies. :oops:
The TS simply copied that schematic.
I don't think I've every seen a worse laid-out published schematic.
I really won't trust a circuit from someone who draws such an amateurish schematic. :rolleyes:

But, as I originally noted, and which seemed to be ignored, is that the +45V supply minus terminal must be connected to ground as the -45V supply plus terminal is, as implied by the circuitstoday.com schematic.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It is not drawn in a style that you instantly recognised but it accurately represents the circuit in question.
Yes, but drawing a schematic in a neat and orderly fashion so it can be readily understood by others is like good writing compared to something poorly written with bad grammar and no punctuation.

would it and left to right words these all write could I example For
not that's but, meant I what represent accurately
.others by comprehension good for sufficient

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Circuitstoday.com is in India which might be why the original schematic is not laid out like we do it.
Then the OP here copied it but used Multisim that cannot make a straight line without it jigging and jagging it all over the place.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Circuitstoday.com is in India which might be why the original schematic is not laid out like we do it.
Then the OP here copied it but used Multisim that cannot make a straight line without it jigging and jagging it all over the place.
You all seem to be missing the point.
Felix is obviously not very experienced in electronics.He asked for help with a clipping problem, not criticism.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You all seem to be missing the point.
Felix is obviously not very experienced in electronics.He asked for help with a clipping problem, not criticism.
On the contrary. You are the one who is missing the point.

A circuit schematic is the language of choice in order to communicate circuit design ideas. The TS is likely a student in electronics. He needs to be shown the correct way to communicate his ideas. AAC is an educational forum. Its goal is to teach and share knowledge about electronics.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
On the contrary. You are the one who is missing the point.

A circuit schematic is the language of choice in order to communication circuit design ideas. The TS is likely a student in electronics. He needs to be shown the correct way to communicate his ideas. AAC is an educational forum. Its goal is to teach and share knowledge about electronics.
Mr. Valdueza asked for help with what appears to us to be a simple problem.
He was addressed rather bluntly about the schematic he posted, and his choice of design tools.
He will probably never use this site again.

Felix Valdueza

Joined Aug 12, 2018
I apologize for my lack of knowledge in electronics guys. I am not a student in such course, I just want to learn about amplifiers and power supplies out of boredom. I mainly go for youtube for tutorials but first I want to build an amplifier to see how hard it is to solder all the parts. But in the schematic, I really had hard time fixing it. I want to create a 100W amplifier using only transistors, do you happen to have a good schematic for that? Again I apologize for this.

Felix Valdueza

Joined Aug 12, 2018
Mr. Valdueza asked for help with what appears to us to be a simple problem.
He was addressed rather bluntly about the schematic he posted, and his choice of design tools.
He will probably never use this site again.
It is fine Mr. Keith I can take criticism, and I think it's good so I can be able to learn from it.