The luckiest cyclist in the world?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I can't see any stop lights or stop light posts but I also say it is the truck's fault. Looks like the truck has either:
A) a yield sign (you can see the backside of the triangle on the far side of the intersection). It may be obstructed by the white lamp post.
B) it could also be an uncontrolled intersection (priority to the right). In Europe they take the priority to the right to an extreme as in, "don't cause the vehicle from the right to slow down". Whereas, in the US, we say, "priority to whoever is first to the intersection and priority to the right if both arrive at the same time." By the European standard, the van should have yielded too.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Wow, one lucky cyclist. I'm still trying to figure out what the girl in the pink shirt was doing....

You guys are right about the yield sign. I also think it was the truck driver's fault, but did the red car ever stop?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Watch the truck driver closely at the impact - he is immediately thrown to the passenger's seat - obviously no seatbelt. He looks like he has a chance to brace himself before it falls on its side.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
tsk tsk, runs intersection, hits car, narrowly misses biker, does not wear a seatbelt...
I guess the point was missed, the truck didn't seem to get the worst of the accident - especially not a lateral impact- yet the driver is instantly transported to the passenger seat.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
The cyclist did get hit. The bicycle is at least 2 feet back from where it disappears behind the truck. I also certain that the car did stop since it was spun around and probably ended up off the side of the roadway. Since the car was up right, people would have assumed that the truck driver was the more seriously injured.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The cyclist was traveling in the left lane into oncoming traffic and it nearly cost him his life. Had he been in the right lane, he would have been "fine" (a change of underwear still needed). Not that a freak accident can't reach you in either lane.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Isn't it illegal for a bike to be in a crosswalk? I'm the first to admit ignorance, but a crosswalk is a bit like a sidewalk, and I know riding on a sidewalk is a bad idea.

[update] Not sure about Russia, but a quick study of U.S. law implies that bikes can use crosswalks, and motor vehicles should yield to a bike in a crosswalk. It's vague, but bikes should yield to foot traffic.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The Law won't protect you from cars and trucks. In practical terms, you place your bicycle wherever you have to in order to survive.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Can't have it both ways. A crosswalk is actually part of the road, and if a pedestrian has right of way a bike would definitely have it. Where would you have them cross?

While riding a bike is illegal on sidewalks, it is suicide on many roads. Since I would prefer people to be safe, I tend to cut them slack. Being American, I support civil disobedience for bad laws.

Texas does not believe in bike lanes much, though in a few places this is changing.