The IOT Future: Lightbulb DRM

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://fortune.com/2020/02/05/philips-hue-smart-lights-vulnerability-flaw/
Researchers are warning about a newly found vulnerability in the Philips Hue smart light system that could give hackers access to the home (or office) networks of users.

Check Point Research discovered the flaw, which would allow cybercriminals to gain entry from over 100 meters away using only a laptop and an antenna. The vulnerabilities were found in the system's communications protocol. Philips has issued a patch for the vulnerability.
Patch your light bulbs. :eek:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.zdnet.com/article/bob-h...revenge-to-the-next-level-in-a-capsule-hotel/

Bob had a bad night: IoT mischief in a capsule hotel takes neighborly revenge to the next level
Now that he could "control every bedroom," and Bob was still there, Supa then tampered with the lights of different bedrooms until he found the right one.

He created a script that, every two hours, would change the bed into a sofa and turn the lights on and off.

The script was launched at midnight. We can probably assume Bob did not enjoy his stay.

"I hope he will be more respectful in the future," Supa commented.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Let’s say that after a divorce, my friend found he still had access to the HVAC systems in the ex’s house.

He’d be very tempted to turn the heat up in the bedroom at night to 90+ degrees. And in the summer, when the outside temperature was over 90, he’d turn the AC off.

Let’s just say…

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
They (Keurig) probably deluded themselves into thinking they were bringing value to the customer by enforcing quality standards. There is some truth to that. I got snookered into buying cheap K-cups that actually contained instant coffee! It hadn't dawned on me that anyone would do that.
So often these days I see a product or company and I am just stunned by how blatantly sleazy they are - How could they think they can get away with that?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
In keeping with this Thread: Phillips Hub.

Working for Vivint Home Security I sometimes get a call from Customers interested in it, goes like this.

Me: Hi, Thank you for choosing Vivint, to whom am I speaking?

Customer: I’m calling about the lighting control system, you know, you can control your lights remotely?

Me: Yes, are you speaking of the Phillips Hue Hub system?

Customer: Well what ever it is you guys sell?

Me: (Ma'am or Sir) No we don’t sell them they are a 3rd party device and are made to integrate with our Security System.

Customer: Erm What? So, what ever it is?

Me: Well it’s a third party device you purchase the Phillips Hub System, go to a lighting department somewhere or purchase it from them, then we can integrate the Hub that communicates with our system and theirs, however I must tell you purchasing is no guaranty it will work with our system and any issues with it, will need to be supported by Phillips Support not us.

Customer: Erm um oh, so you don’t sell it with your system then?

Me: No ma’am or sir, we don’t, we do a single module that plugs into an outlet that will control the power to a lamp but thats about it.

Customer: A lamp?

Me: Yes, a lamp it won’t control your lights in your house, just a lamp.

Not much interest after that, and they hang up.

kv

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...lions-of-iot-devices-lets-hackers-spy-on-you/
Security researchers are sounding the alarm on a critical vulnerability affecting tens of millions of devices worldwide connected via ThroughTek’s Kalay IoT cloud platform.

The security issue impacts products from various manufacturers providing video and surveillance solutions as well as home automation IoT systems that use the Kalay network for easy connectin and communication with a corresponding app.

A remote attacker could leverage the bug to gain access to the live audio and video streams, or to take control of the vulnerable device.
https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ics/advisories/icsa-21-229-01

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...smart-homes-not-so-smart-after-all/ar-AARAEZv
The outage at Amazon.com Inc.’s cloud-computing arm left thousands of people in the U.S. without working fridges, roombas and doorbells, highlighting just how reliant people have become on the company as the Internet of Things proliferates across homes.
Multiple Ring users even said they weren’t able to get into their homes without access to the phone app, which was down.

Others said they weren’t able to turn on their Christmas lights.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While IOT is a nice to have what happened yesterday should serve as a wake up call to many. My wife was comical yelling at Alexis. She orders stuff from Amazon which is nice and convenient and when she says "Alexia, where's my stuff" she expects to know exactly where her purchases are. It's nice to say Alexa turn on this or that but for anything Alexa does I have my own manual backup. It's not just IOT and "the cloud". Last winter the Texas power grid clearly demonstrated just about everything that could and did go wrong in a power grid. A power line in Ohio sags into trees setting off a chain of events placing a dozen states into the dark. Water pumping stations here in Cleveland did not have power backup so with the power went the water. Talk about a fragile infrastructure? Happy about that backup generator and while I don't figure I am a prepper I do very much hate dark and cold. :) While I trust electronic locking systems I always want a manual backup system. A little transistor craps the bed setting off a nightmare chain of events.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://techcrunch.com/2022/06/22/jacuzzi-flaws-admin-exposed-users/
1656008909024.png
Security flaws in internet-connected hot tubs exposed owners’ personal data
Jacuzzi’s SmartTub feature, like most Internet of Things (IoT) systems, lets users connect to their hot tub remotely via a companion Android or iPhone app. Marketed as a “personal hot tub assistant,” users can make use of the app to control water temperature, switch on and off jets, and change the lights.

But as documented by hacker Eaton Zveare, this functionality could also be abused by threat actors to access the personal information of hot tub owners worldwide, including their names and email addresses. It’s unclear how many users are potentially impacted, but the SmartTub app has been downloaded more than 10,000 times on Google Play.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2022/07/smart-thermostats-inadvertently-strain-electric-power-grids
Smart thermostats inadvertently strain electric power grids
“As we electrify the heating sector to decarbonize the grid,” he said, “this so-called load synchronization will become a problem in the near future.”

Zachary E. Lee, Ph.D. ’22, is a co-author of the paper, “Unintended Consequences of Smart Thermostats in the Transition to Electrified Heating.”
Just wait until all those future EV's hit the grid at the same time.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Just wait until all those future EV's hit the grid at the same time.
Things are going to get interesting for sure.

How Many Amps Does Your Home Charging Station Really Need?

"The average daily distance North Americans drive is between 26-31 miles. For electric vehicles, this requires about 10 kWh of electricity (Most EVs average between 3 & 4 miles per kWh. Charging an EV at 40 A (9.6 kW) means it will take a little more than one hour to charge to the minimum required daily amount, compared to 1 hour and 20 minutes at 30 A (7.2 kW)".

Then we look at battery life and replacement cost. :)

Ron