The immortality of the Cassette Tape...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Ah, the good old days of listening to music in my car's hi-fi stereo cassette player... the hissing sound coming put of its speakers prior to every song added an aethereal magic to that feeling... :)

https://news.thomasnet.com/featured...ium=newsletter&utm_source=PNA&tinid=221707471

Ha! my phone's autocorrect wanted to replace Hi-Fi with Wi-Fi! .... no way, josé ... this old geezer still remembers how "high quality stereo equipment" is meant to be spelled....

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I wish old tapes were immortal. I've got a deck that works perfectly but my recorded tapes from the 70's even on the best chrome tapes are sometimes just mud on the high-end.

A few bucks for the set at Goodwill for a shelf in the junk shed.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I wish old tapes were immortal. I've got a deck that works perfectly but my recorded tapes from the 70's even on the best chrome tapes are sometimes just mud on the high-end.

I was going to listen to some old "mix tapes" recently and unfortunately, the impregnation oil in the sintered Metal bushings turned to tar. Nothing would move. The neighbor kid stripped it and sold some parts on eBay.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Not even CDs are immortal... I have a very old pair of CDs from Gordon Lightfoot's greatest hits, and it refuses to play anymore. Not sure how they're manufactured, but I think an internal layer somehow separated and the device's lens isn't able to read it now ... I can't listen to "That's what you get from loving me" anymore .... :(

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Not even CDs are immortal... I have a very old pair of CDs from Gordon Lightfoot's greatest hits, and it refuses to play anymore. Not sure how they're manufactured, but I think an internal layer somehow separated and the device's lens isn't able to read it now ... I can't listen to "That's what you get from loving me" anymore .... :(
It doesn't matter how they are manufactured, the hammer your kids used in their musical intervention will certainly end Gordon Lightfoot. Use YouTube - Gordon is there.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ah, the good old days of listening to music in my car's hi-fi stereo cassette player... the hissing sound coming put of its speakers prior to every song added an aethereal magic to that feeling... :)

https://news.thomasnet.com/featured...ium=newsletter&utm_source=PNA&tinid=221707471

Ha! my phone's autocorrect wanted to replace Hi-Fi with Wi-Fi! .... no way, josé ... this old geezer still remembers how "high quality stereo equipment" is meant to be spelled....

I still have an old Panasonic 8 track. I will let you have it cheap.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Gawd, memory lane. I miss the hiss of cassette tapes, the clunk of 8-track switching tracks, the pops of vinyl and the flop-flop-flop of reel-to-reel when the tape ran out. Ah, the good old days. Uh, wait a minute, not a chance! The "good" old days can stay there. Along with those record label clowns trying to resell me music I already owned.

Though I appreciate the warmth (i.e. mushiness) of a clean vinyl record, I'll still take the digital version any day because I can back them up with zero loss.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I still have most of my analog record and tape collection. My kids and their friends sometimes have retro parties where they play my old records, dance and talk. That a good memory lane that I hope one day they'll tell their grand-kids about.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Stepp believes that the same nostalgia fueling the vinyl trend is slowly underway for cassette tapes,
I think he could be onto something. My friend's daughter loves the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, in which Starlord listens to cassettes on his vintage Walkman. He bought her the "Awesome Mix Vol 1 & 2" cassettes that look just like the ones from the movie. To go with it, He bought a vintage walkman off of eBay, same kind as Starlord carries. I told him he was stupid for paying $60 for a 35 y/o cassette player untested, or even working. I helped him refurbish it regardless. He gave it to her for Christmas, and now these old Walkmans are selling for $300(broken) to $900!

Granted there's this movie driving up the price of that specific model, but if you look across eBay, an old Walkman is worth some money. If you've got one in the closet, pull it out. Guaranteed, some hipster will buy it from you with their parent's money.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I experienced my own bit of music-medium nostalgia recently. I burned my first CD since probably 2006!

Music used to be a bigger part of my life. I would go out of my way to discover new music, and I had an impressive CD collection. I would burn all my favorite tracks to mix CDs. Then the iPod came along and I didn't need the CDs anymore. Then the smartphone with Pandora on it. Then other aspects of my life replaced music in the top 10 most important things to me, and after that I would just turn on the radio for background noise.

Well I had an XM promo thing I guess, I don't know, XM radio in my truck just turned on one day and stayed on for 2 weeks. During that time I heard a lot of music that doesn't get played on the regular radio stations and it sucked me in. I started getting more interested in music, but I use my phone too much for navigation and phone calls; I like to have an independent music source. I can't find my iPod. I probably used it last in 2012. So I stopped by Dollar General and got a stack of CDs. I was surprised that my laptop knew what they were and how to burn them. And surprised the old CD player in my dash still worked.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I was at a meeting a few years ago where the presenter was showing something he had made. As part of his description he mentioned that it could accept an SD card or a cassette.

A youngster asked his dad loud enough for the entire audience to hear, "What's a cassette?"