The hysteresis of comparator.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You have established to yourself why hysteresis is a desirable attribute. Without it the tendency for a circuit to just sit there and oscillate around the cusp of change is very large.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
You have established to yourself why hysteresis is a desirable attribute. Without it the tendency for a circuit to just sit there and oscillate around the cusp of change is very large.
Yes.....but like a wrench one must know which way to turn, and in my case, when!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One trick is to slow the system down, so it reacts very slowly to changes instead of over compensating to what are probably slow changes to begin with, think of it like a filter capacitors and smoothing ripples. The ripples are the compactor switching on/off.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
In the following circuit, there is a 39 Ohm resistor in series with a .01uF capacitor, or in-other-words a "snubber."
I'm not sure this is really needed, but if so what sort of specs would I be looking for in the cap and resistor, other than the 39 ohms and .01uF.

The device on the 110VAC side will be either an incandescent, or LED light-bulb only.

snubber.PNG

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
In the following circuit, there is a 39 Ohm resistor in series with a .01uF capacitor, or in-other-words a "snubber."
I'm not sure this is really needed, but if so what sort of specs would I be looking for in the cap and resistor, other than the 39 ohms and .01uF.

The device on the 110VAC side will be either an incandescent, or LED light-bulb only.

View attachment 165526
If it's a resistive load, then the snubber is not really needed, although it's recommended so that it can handle the switching spikes when the the triac is turned on and off. Especially since the MOC3021 does not seem to use zero-crossing triggering.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
If it's a resistive load, then the snubber is not really needed, although it's recommended so that it can handle the switching spikes when the the triac is turned on and off. Especially since the MOC3021 does not seem to use zero-crossing triggering.
Any idea what resistor and capacitor specs I should follow... voltage/wattage ratings?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Any idea what resistor and capacitor specs I should follow... voltage/wattage ratings?
For the circuit in post #25.
I think the cap should be an X class safety cap (there's also a Y class safety cap). You'll have to read up on that. The resistor can be a low wattage (0.5W) type because there is normally not much current passing thru it.

For RIN, if you really want 10ma input then it should be lower...about 180 ohms.
The opto diode will drop about 1.2v@10ma and LED1 (assuming) 2.0v@10ma

eT

Last edited:

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
For the circuit in post #25.
I think the cap should be an X class safety cap (there's also a Y class safety cap). You'll have to read up on that. The resistor can be a low wattage (0.5W) type because there is normally not much current passing thru it.

For RIN, if you really want 10ma input then it should be lower...about 180 ohms.
The opto diode will drop about 1.2v@10ma and LED1 (assuming) 2.0v@10ma

eT
Indeed, 3V remaining for a drop across opto-LED, 180 ohms is correct!