The Future of Computing

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Run a Google search on "singularity."

Then run a Google search on "James Burke." He saw this coming back in the 80's.

Out of curiosity (and hopefully not too far off-topic) are there any low-cost high-speed computers in the works that will not require petroleum product in their manufacture?

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Ok course. Comparing a big populated country with a small one. No wonder that 5% of the population of China, more intelligent or not, has more people than the whole UK. Are they comparing the incomparable. If so, New York has more cellphone users than Portugal, because its population is 2 times bigger, to start with.

ixisuprflyixi

Joined Sep 16, 2007
I think that is what the video is trying to convey. We know that China has a much larger population than the US but the video's point is that the US (of which I am a proud citizen) thinks its the best all the time yet China has more honor roll kids than we have kids. Now I am not sure what this statistic really means. I am sure that China has a high standard of education but if other countries are so much smarter than the US then why do all thier "honors" kids come to the US for college? We must do something right. :) just a ponderance of mine.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I don't think its about China. I think its about change. "Brave New World" kind of stuff. Tools we can use to do things we have not even though of yet.

And how we will adapt to ourselves once we can do those things with those tools.

Dragon

Joined Sep 25, 2007
I am sure that China has a high standard of education but if other countries are so much smarter than the US then why do all thier "honors" kids come to the US for college? We must do something right. :) just a ponderance of mine.
ixisuprflyixi, you are right about that. The US still has the world's best universities. Thanks to the vision of your great leaders who wanted the US universities to have a 'taste of their own'.

Its never the quantity that maked standards. Population or work force is no yardstick to measure success rates of countries.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
ixisuprflyixi, you are right about that. The US still has the world's best universities. Thanks to the vision of your great leaders who wanted the US universities to have a 'taste of their own'.
Not that I disagree with the quality of US universities (I have the utmost repect and admiration for MIT in particular), but there is a distinct influence of British Universities on the US ones (probably less so today). Also think of the great UK universities that regularly challenge the Harvard's and Yale's - Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial etc.

Harvard and MIT are in Cambridge, Massachusetts - ever thought where the Cambridge name came from?

This is really more off-topic so I'm going to move this thread to the OT forum.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I think that is what the video is trying to convey. We know that China has a much larger population than the US but the video's point is that the US (of which I am a proud citizen) thinks its the best all the time yet China has more honor roll kids than we have kids...
What is an honour roll kid? I'm not familiar with the concept. I saw it on the video too, but in the UK video didn't mentioned that. Are those kids rolled along with honour?:D:D:D

Dragon

Joined Sep 25, 2007
but there is a distinct influence of British Universities on the US ones (probably less so today). Also think of the great UK universities that regularly challenge the Harvard's and Yale's - Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial etc.
Dave, I completely agree. Infact you forgot to mention Cranfield, the university that powers UK's auronautical industry.

Yet, when it comes to selection of students, American universities rely considerably on tests that scrutinize a student's aptitude - GRE/GMAT etc. Not only are the language skills tested, analytical skills are also gauged. Where as its a comparitively easy ILETS for UK.

Nevertheless, both country's universities stand side by side when it comes to quality of research and education.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Yet, when it comes to selection of students, American universities rely considerably on tests that scrutinize a student's aptitude - GRE/GMAT etc. Not only are the language skills tested, analytical skills are also gauged. Where as its a comparitively easy ILETS for UK.
I.m not sure what the testing criteria is for US universities, or many of the UK universities (no sure what ILETS means), but I had to undergo a Maths test and an interview to get my undergraduate position. This is obviously in addition to the fact that you had to make the grade at your A-levels/HNC/other.

Nevertheless, both country's universities stand side by side when it comes to quality of research and education.
I fully agree. In particular, the Russell Group of universities in the UK are world leaders in research and often collaborate with allied universities in US.

Dave

Dragon

Joined Sep 25, 2007
I was specifically refering to international students admission criteria.

IELTS: International English Language Testing System is the UK standard for international students. For the US, its GRE/GAT

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
about the universities debate i would like to say that the budget of the college is a gr8 factor which decides its quality. lack of funds are why colleges/universities can not have better professors (here in India our top quality colleges are running short of professors as they leave for greener pastures). Funds are the reason why universities can afford much facilities for the students.In my opinion a great university is not guaranteed to create great scholars but is sure to attract them. Even the term quality of education is mostly about funds. heard of any great university from a very underdeveloped country or heard of any university with financial blues on top?

Mike M.

Joined Oct 9, 2007
I think that the point about students and honor roll students was trying to point out is that if you took that top 5% of students in China and traded them out with the students in the U.S., every U.S. student would be in the 95th percentile as compared to what the original U.S. percentile system was before the trade............thus the overall contribution of new information and invention to the country of China from just the top 5% in China would completely blow away the entire United States' worth of new information and invention by U.S. students if you added up all that was gained by all U.S. students, honor roll all the way to the bottom.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I was specifically refering to international students admission criteria.

IELTS: International English Language Testing System is the UK standard for international students. For the US, its GRE/GAT
Thanks for the clarification, I understand what you mean now.

Dave

ixisuprflyixi

Joined Sep 16, 2007
to be on the honor roll is no great task, because I am on the honor roll it just means that you have done well in your classes and you have above about a 3.5 out of 4.0 thats all its really means, it is no designation of intelligence. Also I would like to add that I highly respect the Universities of the UK and other european countries that excel in academia.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
to be on the honor roll is no great task, because I am on the honor roll it just means that you have done well in your classes and you have above about a 3.5 out of 4.0 thats all its really means, it is no designation of intelligence. Also I would like to add that I highly respect the Universities of the UK and other european countries that excel in academia.
Completely agree to that. Intelligence might even be an obstacle to learning, since an intelligent mind has to comprehend deeply the concepts, it cannot simply memorize them. Also, an intelligent mind won't learn the imposed concepts if doesn't agree with them. And I'm not talking about extremely intelligent people. Any person with intelligence little above the average may face these difficulties.