The Finishing Touches to a Project

Jswale

Joined Jun 30, 2015
Hi!

I recently embarked on making a snooker scoreboard for a gift...

I have built it, coded and done the enclosure...however the enclosure has a few small scratches or the holes are not completely round (which you will be able to see in the pictures).

Anyone any advice on how to touch these up? maybe with a varnish or round stickers over the holes or some little trick?

Cheers
JSwale

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Last edited:

AnasMalas

Joined Nov 27, 2015
I dont really know of a good method (probably some spray expert knows) but maybe you could get a polished finish with some fine sandpaper.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Really not much to do without a major effort.

If you try to sand it, you must sand it down deep enough to get under the scratches, then use finer grits to bring it back to a luster of sorts.
But you cannot do this to just the scratched area- you need to sand the entire thing if you want it even- spot sanding will look horrible.

Not worth the trouble.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Try filling the scratches/scuffs with black shoe polish, then buff. Or get some auto paint scratch repair cream; black is a standard color. Process is the same as with shoe polish.

You can use a strain relief to cover up most of the hole with the cable in it, and provide some strain relief. Would be better to use a grommet, but it may be too late for that if you can't get one end of the cable through it.

For the oversized panel cutout issue, use a black marker to cover visible edges/gaps. Could also try removing the LCD panels and using black electrical tape to cover the irregularities.

Jswale

Joined Jun 30, 2015
Start over with a new box and be more careful.
I took your advice and changed the back of the enclosure but kept the front because that looked good enough. Just got one picture to show anyone that's interested of the final thing.

It is controlled with a Youview remote and is powered via the USB on the Arduino and an Apple Iphone charger plug.

snooker final.JPG

Regards
JSwale

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
You might daub the screw heads with some satin black paint. You could also daub some satin black on the scratches on the back then polish them down with successively finer grained sandpaper on a rubber block. Start with 600 grit and go down to 1200. Then rub in some armor-all, Meguires or some other plastic treatment.

But seriously. You made this, it works and now you are giving it as a gift. WELL DONE! Personally, I think that the scratches et al add to the value of your work. Want a perfect finish? Buy it at WalMart - wait.. they don't sell that?

Merry Christmas!

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi!

I recently embarked on making a snooker scoreboard for a gift...

I have built it, coded and done the enclosure...however the enclosure has a few small scratches or the holes are not completely round (which you will be able to see in the pictures).

Anyone any advice on how to touch these up? maybe with a varnish or round stickers over the holes or some little trick?

Cheers
JSwale

View attachment 95844View attachment 95843View attachment 95842
Contact paper, like that used to line kitchen cabinets.