The feasibility of developing a “central garbage” feature in a home...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thirdly, a central vacuum system has similar potential for fires, if you suck up a smoldering cigarette or other incendiary element. It hasn't stopped anyone from installing them. The design would simply have to consider the possibility and engineer around it. It is not insurmountable.
Have you ever looked at a central vacuum system? If your proposed system was like a central vac, how much trash would fit through the 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter piping?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Problem is the definition of ’garbage’. I have two weeks left to vacate my sold home. Things that had value are turning Into garbage, as the deadline draws near. Socially, I don’t think we should make the act of generating garbage a convience.

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
The thread had quite a few views, but not 17,000:
This site keeps records and has them actually accessible. I am very impressed.
The site has a “views“ metric separate from replies listed next to the forum topic when listed amidst other topics... 1764 replies (most later in the thread were between another user and me), and somewhere between 16k and 17k views.

Last edited:

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
Central vacuum systems do have some built-in safeguards, at least some of them do. And most of them that I have seen had been abandoned in place for various reasons.
Pneumatic transport systems for bulk materials in manufacturing plants seem to be similar to what you describe, and they are never simple, although the concept is simple. The physical ducting is not cheap nor is it really simple, and certainly it is not compact. All of the bends must have a constant diameter and a fairly large radius, fir starters. And every pit of the system needs to be totally smooth inside to prevent snagging material and developing blockages. And none of the movement depends on gravity, it all runs on air power.
So certainly it could be done but it is not likely that it would be cost effective for most folks. Knowing the cost of industrial systems it is not likely to be included in many homes. For the cost of a single line system I could buy another house bigger than my present one. And it would take up a fair amount of space, and need afair amount of power for the air movement system.
Right—that’s why I would say, until development costs came down with material costs, 3D printing, etc., that the idea would be limited to new construction homes of 7,000 square feet or higher where there are tons of rooms and garbage bins, and keeping it all empty requires one to traverse the entire house every week.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Are you including recyclable items/material in your definition of 'garbage', Jennifer? I ask, because recyclables account for about 90% of our 2-person household waste, leaving only about 1 sack-full per month of true garbage (by my definition).

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
Are you including recyclable items/material in your definition of 'garbage', Jennifer? I ask, because recyclables account for about 90% of our 2-person household waste, leaving only about 1 sack-full per month of true garbage (by my definition).
It may be that the entire thing is designed for recycleable trash, considering that fact. Most everything thrown away in every room other than the kitchen is recycleable. But it would only work in single-stream scenarios.

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
You can completely picture such a system being standard in homes of 2040. “You had to manually take out the trash back then?? We don’t even see it or where it even goes!”

Sounds crackpot now, but when they can convert any material into any other by 2030, the garbage will be sorted, liquified and transported off-premise by the Apple iDump in your basement.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Last edited:

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
Or this.

View attachment 215766

And added bonuses include:
- you can throw away the yuckiest of yuckies in there
- you can throw away lit cigarette butts or even open flames
- almost totally vermin proof
- nobody can prove it's you who are flushing all those twinkle wrappers instead of recycling.
- there is an entire industry already poised to service it.
You weren’t supposed to give away the secret!
:D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It may be that the entire thing is designed for recycleable trash, considering that fact. Most everything thrown away in every room other than the kitchen is recycleable. But it would only work in single-stream scenarios.
It's not enough to design the system for how you think it should be used, it must be designed for how it inevitably will be used.

It really doesn't matter if "mostly" everything thrown way is recyclable. The system has to be able to handle everything that "will" be thrown into it, including the remainder of the TV dinner that the kids were eating in their room and soiled diapers and anything and everything else that anyone ever throws away in a trash can because the whole point is to get rid of the trash cans from every room; so everything that would have gone into the trash can is now going into this system, including heavy and dense items like those worn out boots or anything else that can physically be crammed into it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You weren’t supposed to give away the secret!
:D
....but wait, there's more!

The infrastructure is already in place in most habitable buildings. Only one component is needed to make use of it; To turn those dirty diapers and coke bottles into something that won't clog the toilet.

Something bigger than a paper shredder, but smaller than this:

Screenshot_20200827-141704_Chrome.jpg

It can be mounted on an arm that swings over the bowl and then back out of the way so the originally singular purpose of the commode is retained.

Am I done? NO I'M NOT!

You can capitalize on selling these toilet-mounted trash munchers to consumers on the front end, and on the back end you can sell garbage skimmers to waste water treatment plants (government contracts, oh yeah $$). Not your average garbage skimmers mind you, these are special ones designed to catch finely diced out-of-style apparel and toys with missing pieces.

From there, bundling systems so the saturated poo-entrained garbage can be hauled off to the dump (or thrown into the ocean, depending on location).

The possibilities are truly endless

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
It's not enough to design the system for how you think it should be used, it must be designed for how it inevitably will be used.

It really doesn't matter if "mostly" everything thrown way is recyclable. The system has to be able to handle everything that "will" be thrown into it, including the remainder of the TV dinner that the kids were eating in their room and soiled diapers and anything and everything else that anyone ever throws away in a trash can because the whole point is to get rid of the trash cans from every room; so everything that would have gone into the trash can is now going into this system, including heavy and dense items like those worn out boots or anything else that can physically be crammed into it.
Yes, true... so that means the chute would need some kind of divider down the middle? — one side is trash, the other side recycle. In reality categorization issue is a problem today, because most are not thinking in terms of recycling in every room as it is, only the kitchen. It could actually increase the household's recycling a very significant amount.

Jennifer Solomon

Joined Mar 20, 2017
....but wait, there's more!

The infrastructure is already in place in most habitable buildings. Only one component is needed to make use of it; To turn those dirty diapers and coke bottles into something that won't clog the toilet.

Something bigger than a paper shredder, but smaller than this:

View attachment 215772

It can be mounted on an arm that swings over the bowl and then back out of the way so the originally singular purpose of the commode is retained.

Am I done? NO I'M NOT!

You can capitalize on selling these toilet-mounted trash munchers to consumers on the front end, and on the back end you can sell garbage skimmers to waste water treatment plants (government contracts, oh yeah $$). Not your average garbage skimmers mind you, these are special ones designed to catch finely diced out-of-style apparel and toys with missing pieces.

From there, bundling systems so the saturated poo-entrained garbage can be hauled off to the dump (or thrown into the ocean, depending on location).

The possibilities are truly endless
With that kind of grinder apparatus underneath your rear-end, it would be optimal I think to install some kind of bidet 2-for-1 situation. Eat your Twinkie while you're on the toilet, throw the wrapper down there, and then get a thorough washing like a 2-in-1 wash/waxing setup at the car-wash. :D

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can completely picture such a system being standard in homes of 2040. “You had to manually take out the trash back then?? We don’t even see it or where it even goes!”

Sounds crackpot now, but when they can convert any material into any other by 2030, the garbage will be sorted, liquified and transported off-premise by the Apple iDump in your basement.
I REALLY don't think so. Way too much energy would be required, and way to much added infrastructure needed. And with the explosion of inflation created by all of the money being printed by our federal government folks will be hard pressed to pay for food, let alone such dreams. The energy needed to convert materials is big.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I figure like anything else would it be feasible in new construction? What would it add to the end cost of a new construction home? The vacuum connection in every room eventually died and I don't think it ever had a chance. Would I want the added cost for such a convenience? My answer would be no. So how much would a realistic cost be on let's say a 4 bedroom home in the hardware? Then there is maintenance and upkeep cost.

The feasibility of developing a “central garbage” feature in a home...

I have to say none.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If we consider that perhaps the pipes would be like 4 inch plastic conduit, but with a non-stick inside finish that did not cost much, it may run $2 per foot. That is the inexpensive part of the system There would also need to be some sort of feed-end hardware to funnel the trash in, and since it can not be a gravity flow system it wil need some way to avoid inhaling small pets and user hands. On the delivery end it will need at least a collection tank of some material and some volume of capacity to collect the materials. In addition there will need to be a vacuum blower to create the air flow to move the trash through the pip.At current pricing that pump will cost about $2500, plus controls. So the materials cost at today's pricing will probably be at least $7500. Installation will add additional cost.Probably a total installed price of $15K.
Far cheaper would be a robot to empty the trash can whenever it makes it's rounds.