The Big Misconception About Electricity

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

Veritasium is after that "wowness" factor which attempts to get people to be somewhat shocked at the facts and peaks their curiosity.
"Wow, is that really true? I better look at this".
It's like an ad that tries to pull you into reading the whole thing.

It does have it's good points though as it makes people think and possibly understand the world and the universe a little better, perhaps.
What I find in practice though is that people only stick with something if they have a true interest in it.

One thing I did learn on that channel is why the space shuttle turns over when it takes off. The article was not about the space shuttle though it was about some minimization of energy or something. It was a little know fact and that is why NASA did not know why the shuttle turned on it's back the first time it took off. They said they did some time later, but they didn't know until after it actually occurred. I can't imagine how shocked the crew was on that first flight.
+1

Some act like Veritasium had some strange revelation on this subject. There are tons of other physics videos that say 'exactly' the same thing but they don't have the 'wow' factor. There are also ton's of bogus free-energy videos that no one says peep about being an absolute crock.

Last edited:

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
+1

Some act like Veritasium had some strange revelation on this subject. There are tons of other physics videos that say 'exactly' the same thing but they don't have the 'wow' factor. There are also ton's of bogus free-energy videos that no one says peep about being an absolute crock.

What I find scary is the huge number of appreciative and praise comments, some of these dufus's attract, Professor Dave is a prime example.

Now, here's another genuinely good teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/@misterwootube

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As I have observed before, it reinforces the quote by Einstein I use.
This was typical of the Royal Institution, if you were a layman with minimum education, how could you come up with scientific evidence? !!!
He was not alone, John Harrison was another, a working class clock maker who solved the problem of finding longitude, but was cheated out of his reward offered by the Royal institution because of his 'lack' of education.! :(

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This was typical of the Royal Institution, if you were a layman with minimum education, how could you come up with scientific evidence? !!!
He was not alone, John Harrison was another, a working class clock maker who solved the problem of finding longitude, but was cheated out of his reward offered by the Royal institution because of his 'lack' of education.! :(
Education enhances existing intelligence and talent, it doesn't create it.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
We can add Oliver Heaviside to this elite group too, he simplified Maxwell's equations.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
George Boole: Another that did not find fame until after he died, he did not live to see the effect of what he came up with. what is now now called Boolean algebra, until the advent of the computer.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We can add Oliver Heaviside to this elite group too, he simplified Maxwell's equations.
But he didn't suck at math. He simplified Maxwell's original published equations from quaternion notation and some vector calculus (that Maxwell previously moved from components) to mainly vector calculus. It works but it also IMO slightly obscured the inherent 4-d quality of EM theory until refactored into 4d generally covariant tensor calculus by Einstein.

https://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/gravitation/mitarbeiter/hehl/MaxwellUCL2.pdf

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Lord Kelvin's equations are good as a practical solution but it shows the limits of not including magnetic fields in the equation with induction per Heaviside with loading coils.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14786447608639176

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsta.2017.0457
Heaviside's approach in his work was that of the ‘physical’; he sought to understand the physical nature of the electrical and electromagnetic phenomena, despite his heavy use of mathematics. Much of his fundamental and most important work on electromagnetic theory, transmission lines and electric circuit theory is contained within his two volumes of Electrical papers, published in 1892. It is true to say that the scope of his work was wide ranging, at first focused on the great practical telegraphic and telephonic problems of the late nineteenth century, leading to the invention of inductive loading coils and a patent for the coaxial cable [2].