The base resistor calculation for NPN transistor

Delian Diver

Joined Jul 11, 2017
I want to make a random gate signal generator for my modular synth. I looked at different designs before making it myself and found that there are a lot of output buffers variations. So I lost myself in getting to know what is the better way to implement this OUTPUT AND LED BUFFER.
So the basic concern is to output the GATE signal from CD4051 to the sequencer in random manner and to visualize the current OUTPUT with LED.
CD4051 is powered from +12V.
The OUTPUT GATE has to be +5V (divider?)
So what is the better way to implement the BUFFER and how to calculate a perfect values for the RB, RG and RLED in this task?

Buffer.png

Delian Diver

Joined Jul 11, 2017
Also there is this similar by the function circuit but it is different in connecting the LOAD. What do I have to know about the way I connect the buffer (collector or emitter) and what is the best way?
Buffer-2.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
OK,
What voltage is powering the CD4051.
I am assuming that the LED current is approx 20mA, also a RED LED has a forward voltage drop of 2V, not 5V.
E

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Then your transistor Emitter will output 11.3V , assuming your led takes 10mA , then R49 can be 1k, 2N3904 has an hfe of 300, so the Rb resistor can be 10K,

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
OK,
So do you want the LED to light and the Gate output to go High to approx 12V, when the output of the 4051 is High ie: 12V.?
As per your original circuit
E