The author is respected...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm not a power guy but it just stores the energy mainly in the capacitor electric field instead of a conventional switcher using the inductor magnetic field. The high capacitor C (energy storage component) peak currents will a limiting factor in practical circuits.
Thanks for the video! Very clear now.

This seems to confirm my Spidey sense -- the claims didn't pass the smell test.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thanks for the video! Very clear now.

This seems to confirm my Spidey sense -- the claims didn't pass the smell test.
It's not bad or voodoo engineering, it's selective test case that's being used to hype a person and company with a IMO questionable patent.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
It's not bad or voodoo engineering, it's selective test case that's being used to hype a person and company with a IMO questionable patent.
From the article:

Do We Need More or Have All Topologies Been Invented?

PWM-Resonant Ćuk converter demonstrates that newly invented better topologies are already here! The proper question to ask is instead: should we keep the obsolete topologies like a buck converter?
Sounds like all bucks are obsolete based on his "invention", not just 2:1 bucks.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
From the article:

Sounds like all bucks are obsolete based on his "invention", not just 2:1 bucks.
It's phrased in the form of a question. Yes, should we keep the obsolete topologies like a buck converter or even big iron transformers when needed for an application.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
'Ol Chook is no fool, having a well-known converter named after him. It would be good if the dolt doing the viddy would learn to pronounce his name.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
'Ol Chook is no fool, having a well-known converter named after him. It would be good if the dolt doing the viddy would learn to pronounce his name.
No, he's not a fool so he knows the practical limitations. The 'dolt doing the viddy' is no fool either.

People buy a regulated power supply, 99% of end-users don't care about the switching topology.

Last edited: