The 80s called. They want their store back

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Called a wrecking yard looking for a rear-end for my 3/4t ford dually. He thrumed through a book and asked, "What kind of Spicer do you have?" I said I don't have a Spicer, I have a Sterling. He said Ford doesn't use Sterlings.

I'm still looking for a Sterling.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Girl or boys ,if it not in the bar code system of the store with price and info ,

they don't have it, next. The bar code trumps the part numbers , thanks to

global trading.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Stopped at Advance Auto parts to pick up a new battery. I am fully capable of replacing the battery but they do it for free so I figured why get my hands dirty?

Good thing I supervised the young lady installing it. The one battery terminal was very loose and she was going to let it go out like that reasoning that the terminal would not go any tighter. I had to end up fixing it for her. :mad:
I have a car with the battery tucked away under rear seat. Kind of an operation to change battery. Should have been fun to test a free battery change offer.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Depends on whether you're finding RMS from Peak or Peak from RMS. Thankfully it's very easy to remember one when you have the other--0.707 is half of 1.414. Simple as that :D
My inner nerd has to point out that I never think of 0.707 as half of 1.414, but mostly as the reciprocal of 1.414

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
My inner nerd has to point out that I never think of 0.707 as half of 1.414, but mostly as the reciprocal of 1.414
That's probably a better way of putting it. I just use the 1/2 to remember it more easily. I don't know about you, but I can't do 1/1.414 very well in my head :p

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Simple typo error. 0.707 is half of 1.414

But this is the first time I have noticed this simple math trick: 1.414/2 = 1/1.414

Why?

Because

\( \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Simple typo error. 0.707 is half of 1.414

But this is the first time I have noticed this simple math trick: 1.414/2 = 1/1.414

Why?

Because

\( \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\)
Yup, my favorite math trick.

If the length of a piece of paper is 1.414 longer than the width, you can tear it in half and still have paper of the same size ratio. Then do it again, and again and again.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Yup, my favorite math trick.

If the length of a piece of paper is 1.414 longer than the width, you can tear it in half and still have paper of the same size ratio. Then do it again, and again and again.
My favorite paper trick is to get a piece of paper and make it have only one side. :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
the same problem exists at other kinds of strores too. just go into an autoparts store and ask for a part for a 74 alfa romeo, the kid will try to look that jup in his "computer" for a long time. and they dont hire anyone anymore that is familiar with what they sell, if its not in their "computer" they havn't a clue what it might be.
Actually I have had mostly good experiences with the guys working at auto parts stores, in general. The OReilly down the street from me is exceptional. The guys working there, work there because they love cars and working on cars. They're gearheads, and get them started, they will talk you head off about the camaro race car or classic restoration they are building in their home garage. At any given time you walk in the door, you can reasonably expect there to be a heated GM Vs. Mopar debate going on.

Now, automotive electrical is a bit more hit/miss. I've had to explain things to them before, like how exactly a bad battery can kill an alternator and how the radio can talk to the park shift solenoid over CAN bus. But some of them even know that, too.

I think it's unreasonable to expect to find any parts at all for a 1974 alfa romeo at autozone. Its like expecting radio shack to carry 1000A 1000v IGBT modules.