Texting While Driving Options

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That's interesting, but I don't think it's a good law.
As do I; people after the law would pull over all the time in front of my house to txt. Now I don't see them anymore; because they just have to raise the phone off to the side and worse yet the younger kids brazenly do it knowing they most likely won't get caught.

That would not be the case if it's against the law to use the phone.

kv

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This topic will be a non-issue soon.

All the stupid people will have offed themselves (and maybe some other)... Or, more likely and more civil, we will have self-driving vehicles. That being the case, no fears of drunk driving, distracted driving, heck, a 10-year-old kid can ask his family car to take him to his friend's house - I see it as the only cure to this stupidity.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This topic will be a non-issue soon.

All the stupid people will have offed themselves (and maybe some other)... Or, more likely and more civil, we will have self-driving vehicles. That being the case, no fears of drunk driving, distracted driving, heck, a 10-year-old kid can ask his family car to take him to his friend's house - I see it as the only cure to this stupidity.
Before that happens they should watch this, most will say 'it won't happen to me' but some will take note and that one might be your child.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Before that happens they should watch this, most will say 'it won't happen to me' but some will take note and that one might be your child.
I realize it is bad. I cannot do it in the winter with a manual transmission and twisty backroad commute. I cannot do it in the summer - gloves and a motorcycle helmet get in the way.
I just wish car manufacturers and phone companies would st0p facilitating it with safety braking systems, blind-spot detection, "dozing" sensors which are really sensors to remind you to look at the road once in a while as you are texting. Phone companies (and phone manufactures) can make a phone that knows I am looking at the screen or that knows I am shopping (even where I am in the store based on a new lighting system reported elsewhere on this forum) - why don't they sense when the user is driving and disable the messaging system until you stop or turn off the car. Why don't they do that, because nobody would buy that phone.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here's an idea: Install Dragon Naturally Speaking on phones. Yeah, yeah, I know...phones are already designed for actually speaking. Is texting only for people that can't actually speak? I think not.

Next million dollar app: A voice recognition program that converts sound to text-speak so people that think their social activities are more important than surviving can keep babbling while driving.:D

I already know that I can not talk on the phone while driving a car, and do either one of them properly, but if it's a one way affair, where an app just listens to people talking to themselves, it might make survival more likely. :)

"OMG! No left turn on red! (Proot.) Glad nobody's here to smell that." Send

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's the people that do that damage, car & phone manufacturers are in the business of selling products that separately are merely hazardous but together are a binary weapon. In this state its illegal to talk on a hand-held phone or text while driving but the cops don't even look because if they did ticket people for it that's all they would do all day. Actually enforcing the law might be a big help but the cops here are the worst offenders, I always see them looking and typing at the damn (mobile data terminal) computer while driving 80 in a school zone.
http://www.businessinsider.com/poli...harged-in-killing-of-napster-executive-2014-8

Last edited: