Textbook Active Hi-Pass Filter Not working... what am I missing?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes, that is exactly what I want, I would like to get 10nS 'on' period or less.
Then try a RC time-constant of 10ns or less.
But note that the op amp may not be that fast.
Also the square-wave rise time must be much less than 10ns.
For a shorter pulse output you might try using a fast comparator or a VH or AHC series logic gate.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
By "fast" do you mean "slew rate"? I'm asking out of ignorance.

Where in the circuit would you put the RC?

It is.

For a shorter pulse output you might try using a fast comparator or a VH or AHC series logic gate.
Yes, but I'm thinking the same can/should be done with a few transistors and passives. I want a simple and robust design that can survive abuse by a 300 pound gorilla. I tried the 74121 which is advertised as min 35 ns, but I can't make it go below 80 ns, so I'm not so inclined to use IC's in general for this. And ref VH or AHC, could be - I was actually thinking of looking into ECL or PECL if my analog engineering skills fail me.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
Ref RC, are you thinking something like this? Perhaps with a schmitt-trigger input on the inverter?

Screenshot from 2017-11-22 11-08-18.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I did not yet decide, can work with both, depends on what pulse is simplest to produce.
This is going nowhere fast.
Draw a timing diagram of what you are trying to produce, i.e. show input signal and output signal, with proper voltage and time scales.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
This is going nowhere fast.
Draw a timing diagram of what you are trying to produce, i.e. show input signal and output signal, with proper voltage and time scales.
Would this be satisfactory?

Screenshot from 2017-11-22 15-44-26.pngWhere
A: 0 - 5V
B: 0 - min 0.7V
C: 10ns
D: 1us

in the ideal world I would like both C and D to be variable, where C would be 0-1us, and D 50ns-1us. But that would complicate things at this point when my main focus is to make pules width of 10ns (or less), which seems to be a challenge without going into exotic components. And I don't mind if the desired signal is inverted or not, that is not a problem.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Now that is perfectly clear. (I am going to assume that you aren't concerned about rise-time and fall-time.)
I'll breadboard a circuit for you shortly.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The shortest pulse I can generate with the off-the-shelf components that I have in stock is 30-50ns from a 74123 monostable multivibrator.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
The shortest pulse I can generate with the off-the-shelf components that I have in stock is 30-50ns from a 74123 monostable multivibrator.
Thank you for your efforts, that's about the same experience I had, so I made a mono vib with two transistors, but then I got in trouble with the high pass filter, so here we are. Today I will venture down the logic gate path.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
With the two-gate solution (and no RC) I get 7ns pulse using two 74HC00 NAND gates.

Edit: You can vary the pulse-width by varying R (in between the two gates) and leave out C.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
With the two-gate solution (and no RC) I get 7ns pulse using two 74HC00 NAND gates.

Edit: You can vary the pulse-width by varying R (in between the two gates) and leave out C.
That's clever, using the input capacitance for RC. And if you swap the resistor for a transistor you can control the pulse width from your MCU.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That's clever, using the input capacitance for RC. And if you swap the resistor for a transistor you can control the pulse width from your MCU.
But the control would be very non-linear, being very sensitive around the transistors threshold voltage.

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
But the control would be very non-linear, being very sensitive around the transistors threshold voltage.
Yes, but I meant it as a quick and simple solution, I'm confident you could use one of those digital potentiometers instead. Anyway I still find it wired that I could measure a voltage on the input of the opamp and nothing on the output, just because the input frequency was below cut-off frequency. And I find it wired that nobody else find it wired, or maybe it's a natural phenomena that I'm ignorant about, anybody else seen this before and can explain it?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Anyway I still find it wired that I could measure a voltage on the input of the opamp and nothing on the output, just because the input frequency was below cut-off frequency.
I believe the word you want is "weird" (although if you are on an upper, you could be "wired"). :)

I thought we determined that the resistor value to ground was too low and that's why you didn't get an output? :confused:

dr.evil

Joined Aug 18, 2010
I believe the word you want is "weird" (although if you are on an upper, you could be "wired"). :)

I thought we determined that the resistor value to ground was too low and that's why you didn't get an output? :confused:
Actually no, after I changed C3 to 1nF something began to show up on the output, but the weired thing is/was that there was a voltage of 2V on the input (before changing C3), and since the input has infinite (1000GΩ) impedance, there should (theoretically) have been an amplified output, but there was zero, why? MrChips said it was "derivative of the square wave", but it still showed up on the scope on the input.

Ref. wired/weired: Sorry, not native English speaking person here, time for a downer ;-)

Last edited: