Texas Instruments NSpire calculator Octal Conversion

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Finally retired my TI-83 and got the NSpire CXII CAS and getting familiar with using it. It has converters for Binary, Hex, Base10, but not Octal. Sure, I can do it with pencil and paper but that is what calculators are for. Not that I would use it often and there are lots of online converters but does anyone have a link for the add on? Could learn Python and have a go at programming one but learning Python is down the todo list a ways still.

Thx, Sam

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
The Windows calculator has lots of new features. I never use it except for the occasional hex-binary-decimal conversion, and it has octal too, When I want a calculator I almost always grab my old HP15C

Just use the menu bar to choose the Programmer version.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
@Tesla23 Thx, not the solution I wanted but works like a charm and I am usually at the computer anyways. Will do for now.

Side Note: Went ahead and started on Python and did find how to do it in Python. So Monty and I will be working on learning that also for a while along with everything else already on my plate.

Just like the 9x multiplication tables.

Want 4 * 9
Put your hands out in front of you and turn down the 4th finger from the left.
there is 3 to the left of the 4th finger and 6 to the right of the 4th finger.
So 36

9x table; digits add up to 9.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
@KeepItSimpleStupid I don't have a problem doing by hand, it's just simpler and less error prone to use a calculator for me. For some reason the Nspire neglected to add Octal. I am also running into variable case problems with it. If I enter E * E it gives me a result of e^2 for example. Quite annoying and so far I have not found out if it is an error (bad calculator) or if there is a fix for the issue. Can't believe they would put on an alphabet keyboard that allows upper- and lower-case letters and then converts them to lower case in the results. Haven't tried programming with them to see if it also does the same there yet. Will really be fubar doing Python with it if it does.

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I'm not much of a phone guy and there was a reason I upgraded from the TI-83 and its shortcomings... I've used the HP's in the past but not a big fan of RPN although I did want the 48SX back in the days.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The Nspire comes with a PC emulator, and it also converts upper case letters to lower case in calculations, so it seems to not be an error. I've left inquiries on both the TI site and Stack Exchange without any replies so far. The Nspire keyboard is apparently for text entries and not calculations it seems. Not too happy about that.

EDIT: Well this sucks! From a guidebook as to naming variables "TI-Nspire does not distinguish between uppercase and lowercase letters". What a PITA!

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Arghhh... Nspire does not like implied multiplication. If you enter (2x^2y) * (3xy^ 3) it gives you 6 * xy^3 * x^2 * y. You have to enter (2 * x^2 * y) * (3 * x * y^3) to resolve as = 6*x^3*y^4. Treats implied multiplication as a variable name. PITA but that I can learn to deal with.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Finally retired my TI-83 and got the NSpire CXII CAS and getting familiar with using it. It has converters for Binary, Hex, Base10, but not Octal. Sure, I can do it with pencil and paper but that is what calculators are for. Not that I would use it often and there are lots of online converters but does anyone have a link for the add on? Could learn Python and have a go at programming one but learning Python is down the todo list a ways still.

Thx, Sam
Octal is 3-bits. That's easy to remember. I just put this together for you- don't know how to make it any simpler: Just follow the bit-pattern vertically:

1620939944456.png

I arbitrarily chose the value 108 decimal (ASCII value). See the Binary (01101100)? You can see that HEX= 0x6C, and Octal = 154.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This is absurd, it doesn't maintain the capitalization in variable names, but does for subscripts on variables.