texas instruments chip programming

dcd528

Joined Jul 28, 2011
I have used the microchip 16f690 for a few projects and am embarking on a new project and am considering moving to a TI chip. I need an adc function and a couple inputs and one output. I found some TI chips that will work, I think, but I can't find info on programming.
With microchip I bought a pickit2 and downloaded their ide. What do I need for TI?
I googled this a few times and came up empty, any help is appreciated.
thanks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the part number of the TI chip?

You have a number of options. The first would be to go to TI website and they will suggest two or three programs for that particular chip.

Here are some suggestions:
  • Code Composer Studio
  • GCC
  • IAR EW

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I googled this a few times and came up empty, any help is appreciated.
I hate to have to bring up the obvious, but why not consult TI's web site?

This took me less than 10 seconds to find. Clicked on "Tools and Software" on their main page, then clicked on "Code Composer Studio" under the "Software & Development Tools" tab. Easy as pie.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I hate to have to bring up the obvious, but why not consult TI's web site?

This took me less than 10 seconds to find. Clicked on "Tools and Software" on their main page, then clicked on "Code Composer Studio" under the "Software & Development Tools" tab. Easy as pie.
And that is exactly what I did. You would think that if TI made the chip, they are the experts on the chip, they want to sell as many chips as possible and hence they would want to provide the customer with the easiest route to programming the chip.

dcd528

Joined Jul 28, 2011
thanks to all who responded. I have a distinct deficit when it comes to starting down a new road, I can't find things staring me in the face. My workshop is overly organized because if it isn't where it is suppose to be I can't find it.
So the obvious eludes me.
thanks for the insight

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
thanks to all who responded. I have a distinct deficit when it comes to starting down a new road, I can't find things staring me in the face. My workshop is overly organized because if it isn't where it is suppose to be I can't find it.
So the obvious eludes me.
thanks for the insight
You might consider staying with Microchip and getting a PIC that has ADC. That would preserve your investment in tools and experience. Plus the '690 has an ADC.

TI development stuff is indeed nice, though.