Test equipment warm up period

Cowboy67

Joined Mar 18, 2022
Hello,

1st time posting...

I am a civilian avionics tech for the the air force on the C17 globemaster. We have a piece of test equipment used to test the pitot/static system that requires a 15 minute warm up period but continually fails. The system is the 0014388-001 flight control systemset test set. Our supervision is telling us this is nothing to be concerned about. We are being told to use an external aircraft heater that warms up the cargo bay to get the warm up period to pass. I am concerned that this is not the proper way.

This system is new to us. We only received it about 6 months ago.

If you were told to do this, without checking manuals, would you be concerned about the test results? If so/not, why?

TIA...Jim

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
If you were told to do this, without checking manuals, would you be concerned about the test results? If so/not, why?
Equipment that requires a specific warm-up protocol requires it for a reason. I wouldn't trust the results and I wouldn't take someone else's word that it was okay.

You're in the military. Push your concern up your chain of command.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :)
I was a civilian non combatant employed by a military contractor
There was no chain of command only bravado.
After the successful completion of a systems calibration acceptance test.
I would sign off on The traveler, only then the system was installed.
If that system failed in the field for whatever reason guess who they're going to be looking for.
If they have you sign off on documentation I would be concerned.
EDIT: I just have to say I am also a technician. An ace technician, that's Ace spelled with two " s's. "

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Having been there and done that I can tell you that Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force and Marines all have well documented procedures and methods for servicing anything. Generally a procedure is a four section document in most cases. Introduction and general information, equipment requirements, step by step procedure and a data sheet with pass / fail criteria. Then a signature where someone signs off on the work performed and saying it was done in accordance with procedure. Procedure calls out a 15 min warm up I do a 15 min warm up. No shortcuts, not until the procedure has an engineering change notification. :) Any changes should be well documented.

Ron

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If it says it needs a warm up period, then it needs a warm up period to achieve its stated accuracy.
No ifs, no buts.

Is there a way to avoid any waiting time?
Leave it switched on all the time?

Cowboy67

Joined Mar 18, 2022
If it says it needs a warm up period, then it needs a warm up period to achieve its stated accuracy.
No ifs, no buts.

Is there a way to avoid any waiting time?
Leave it switched on all the time?
No way to keep it on as it ia used on our multuple planes. After a thorough search of our manual/T.O., it does state tests can still,be performed prior to the warm up period, but does not address an actual fail in the manual we have.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
No way to keep it on as it ia used on our multuple planes. After a thorough search of our manual/T.O., it does state tests can still,be performed prior to the warm up period, but does not address an actual fail in the manual we have.
Your in a shit place,
I get that

Options ,

a) close brain, sign and pray
b) get the person that tells you that its ok to sign off
c) Get doc from person that tells you saying what procedure to follow
d) resign
e) whistle blower policy is ?

Its a real SH1T ,,,,