Tesla Coil DC Power Supply and Charging Circuit

Nicholas K. Heinrich

Joined Feb 25, 2012
I have been attempting to work out a circuit for a DC supplied rotary spark gap Tesla Coil. Should be around total 16kW, 690bps, with resonant charging. Based primarily off Richie Burnett's Tesla Coil site. Maximum tank voltage should be 13kV. I have tried using a program called PSU designer II from Duncan Amplification, but it's so old it barely works with windows 10. I am using a choke input filter to help reduce peak anode current over a capacitor input filter. The program requires I have either a resistive or constant-current load on the power supply. A Tesla Coil resonant charging circuit, spark gap, and primary coil are neither of those things. I chose to use 1.5kOhm to replicate the approximate power drawn by the charging circuit. However once the charging circuit was added it started causing the rectifier peak inverse voltage (15kV) to be exceeded. The program wouldn't allow me to add the de-q-ing diode, so I was wondering if that would cause it. Without the charging circuit, and with soft starting enable, it can deliver approximately 6.6kV at 4.5A to the charging circuit without exceeding the rectifiers limitations. I'm not particularly sure what the effects of the charging circuit will be on the power supply. Thoughts? I have attached a schematic, but apologize for all the arrows in the lines, I haven't quite figured out SmartDraw just yet. (Also any suggestions for schematic drawing software that doesn't cost $200 after the trial?)Good Tesla Coil Schematic.jpg Tesla Coil Power Supply Simulation.jpg Good Tesla Coil Schematic.jpg Tesla Coil Power Supply Simulation.jpg

Nicholas K. Heinrich

Joined Feb 25, 2012
Thanks! I downloaded it, and while a little less intuitive to use, it actually does what I want it to. I really like the ability to customize and create new symbols.