Terorist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
AlterNet's mission statement:

AlterNet's Mission

AlterNet is an award-winning news magazine and online community that creates original journalism and amplifies the best of hundreds of other independent media sources. AlterNet’s aim is to inspire action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, health care issues, and more. Since its inception in 1998, AlterNet.org has grown dramatically to keep pace with the public demand for independent news. We provide free online content to millions of readers, serving as a reliable filter, keeping our vast audience well-informed and engaged, helping them to navigate a culture of information overload and providing an alternative to the commercial media onslaught. Our aim is to stimulate, inform, and instigate.
Sounds like making news is better than reporting news. Well, I'm sure some allows AlterNet to do their thinking for them.

In the link, the first murderer listed was called "racist" by Eric Holden. There was no conviction on being a racist. AlterNet claimed he was racists. In my opinion, there was no evidence presented on that hypothesis.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If the occupy wall street or black lives matter protesters were armed during protesting, they would have been taken down by law enforcement in a heart beat.
Not really. Depends what you mean by "armed".
Are these guys "armed"?
ferguson-police-ca_3118278k.jpg

And of course there was this debacle in Baltimore:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tone-deaf-handling-of-city-s-riot-crisis.html

Huge tolerance for "protests".

The guys in the snow would have to do a lot more damage before they rose to the level of these precedents.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
On the other hand, the Hammonds were warned that their penchant for using fires with a half-baked plan to control them would not be tolerated a second time (after the poorly executed 1999 fire). So, when their second fire aLSo got out of control and required intervention by local authorities to control the fire, someone said, that was the last straw.
No problem with the Hammonds doing time some but this person only got 6 years of Federal time for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayman_Fire
The fire quickly spread out of the campfire ring and eventually torched over 138,000 acres (560 km2) and burned across four different counties. A federal grand jury indicted Barton on four felony counts of arson.[9]
Barton pleaded guilty to two charges: setting fire to federal forest land and lying to investigators[10] and was given a six-year sentence in federal prison. U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch refused, however, to impose the $14 million restitution asked for by prosecutors, saying he would not sentence her to a "life of poverty." Additionally, the State of Colorado sentenced Barton to 12 years in prison to run concurrently with the 6-year federal sentence. The state sentence was overturned on appeal, however, on grounds that the presiding judge had "the appearance of prejudice" because smoke from the fire had motivated him to voluntarily leave his home for one night.[11] In March 2008, Barton was re-sentenced by a different judge to 15 years of probation and 1,000 hours community service.[12]

The fire she ignited resulted directly in the death of one civilian, $39.1 million in suppression costs, the destruction of 133 homes with total private property losses valued at $40.4 million,[13] and indirectly led to the death of five firefighters.[14] Several insurance companies filed a $7 million suit against the government in the fall of 2008, claiming that Barton was negligent in her duties. In November, Judge Wiley Daniel ruled that the government was not responsible for Barton's actions because she was acting as an angry spouse and not as a government worker.[15]
Proportionality is the issue here for me.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To me the stepped over the line to terrorist when they came in armed. If the occupy wall street or black lives matter protesters were armed during protesting, they would have been taken down by law enforcement in a heart beat.

But they aren't to scary like ISIS. Don't think the leader of ISIS mommy would make a plea to bring them 'supplies'.
http://www.journalgazette.net/news/us/Standoff-leader-s-mom-makes-plea-for-supplies-10869721
You don't suppose there would be a backlash if the sheriff and the feds declined the request for supplies. I guess they should have thought about that before they went in. I'd like to see if they have the balls to die of starvation for their beliefs, like the IRA prisoners, or the Mahatma.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You don't suppose there would be a backlash if the sheriff and the feds declined the request for supplies. I guess they should have thought about that before they went in. I'd like to see if they have the balls to die of starvation for their beliefs, like the IRA prisoners, or the Mahatma.
Earlier in this "protest" they showed the interior of the building, their 'supplies' for the "protest". The biggest pile was their Coors light pile. Guess they thought they were the lone rangers, had to have their 'silver bullets'.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In what article? Not the one that was posted.
No, but the article called the individual racist, and a google search on the murderer's name lead to Eric Holden's statement.

Of course, if you took his article as correct, you can believe what you want. Popular opinion isn't basis for a charge.

I only looked at the first suspect. I was at the post office in my town in Oklahoma when I heard of the OKC bombing. McVey requested and received the death penalty ... without the normally associated long and drawn out appeals.

Their mission statement is to create the news, their words, not mine. So everything I read there is taken with a large grain of NaCl.

So, with the author's opine stating the 1st murderer listed was a racist, is indicative of a bias. That fact was not entered into evidence, as that would trigger a "hate" crime. The killer wasn't charged or convicted of a hate crime.

For all you know, I might think that killer was a racist, but I won't state the opine as it is not germane to the discussion.

I cited earlier two that "created" news and were terminated.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
They must have expected a more forceful response. I guess waiting them out is the ultimate show of disrespect. Maybe if they take a hostage or two they'll get some respect.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
They must have expected a more forceful response. I guess waiting them out is the ultimate show of disrespect. Maybe if they take a hostage or two they'll get some respect.
If they could find a police car they could turn it over. Or, maybe a Molotov cocktail into a snowbank.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
No, but the article called the individual racist, and a google search on the murderer's name lead to Eric Holden's statement.
Care to share?

Their mission statement is to create the news, their words, not mine.
Nope. Those are your words.

So, with the author's opine stating the 1st murderer listed was a racist, is indicative of a bias. That fact was not entered into evidence, as that would trigger a "hate" crime.
Oh really?

Two coworkers testified that Roque was "narrow-minded" and that he hated both immigrants and Arabs.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Balbir_Singh_Sodhi

Status
Not open for further replies.