Tenma 72-6644 function generator DB9 connector question

bbiandov

Joined Nov 24, 2007
Hi everyone,

I've had this analog Tenma 72-6644 function generator for years and just now wanted to figure out the DB9 serial connector. Although I do have the user manual, it doesn't explain anything about the DB9 connector pin-outs and what software I need to use with the waveform generator?

If anyone is familiar with the Tenma 72-6644 function generator can you share with me some info about how to use its serial port?

Thank you
~B

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I would imagine it is a standard serial port. Google "RS232 pinout" and follow that.

You can probably just plug it into your PC and talk to it with no issues, assuming your PC still has a serial port. If not you'll need a USB to serial converter.

Randy 7140

Joined Jun 17, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've had this analog Tenma 72-6644 function generator for years and just now wanted to figure out the DB9 serial connector. Although I do have the user manual, it doesn't explain anything about the DB9 connector pin-outs and what software I need to use with the waveform generator?

If anyone is familiar with the Tenma 72-6644 function generator can you share with me some info about how to use its serial port?

Thank you
~B
As a standard, mostly all serial ports use these three connections.... pin2(transmit) - Pin3(Receive) and pin5(ground).... Although Pins 7 and 8 are used sometimes too. Also, some devices will require the pins 2 and 3 be swapped on one side of the 9pin. Hope that helps.

bbiandov

Joined Nov 24, 2007
I would imagine it is a standard serial port. Google "RS232 pinout" and follow that.
Thanks ErnieM, not standard, probed all pins; proper rs232 voltages present but there is not sign of any data so I guess the software is supposed to trigger commands and then the data shows up on the pins. Or else the thing is shot but it does look good with +/- 12v so I am puzzled.

I've seen the same behavior with Yaskawa servo drives; without the software constantly interrogating the servo drive there is no serial data present. I made a little Y-serial connector to spoof the serial stream and as soon as I close the software all communication stops. Not even a ping from the servo drive. I assume that may be the case here but what software do I use with this Tenma thing?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
it could be a case of hardware streamlining. The manf. builds the hsrdware completely out, but only higher end models get the chips needed for RS-232 communicstion operation. You may be able to view the board where the wires terminate and see if there are any unpopulated places for chips and components there.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
... I guess the software is supposed to trigger commands and then the data shows up on the pins.
I couldn't find Tenma's website perhaps you will have more luck. See if you can download any other manuals (a programmer's guide would be wonderful).

I would agree this thing would just sit there until some command is written in over the serial lines. That's how every other piece of test equipment I've ever used works.