Temperature Devices

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
You have an environment problem. Making a wireless transmitter with a battery to work at the temperature inside the barbecue and on the rotating spit is a "challenge". What is the budget for this feature? It can be done but it is not cheap.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Both ANALOG DEVICES company and ANALOGIC company used to produce items similar to what you want. AC mains powered and having a digital temperature display with a digital setpoint, so that when the setpoint temperature was reached the relay would energize. Adding another relay in a latching arrangement would be a simple exercise.
NOW changing the requirement to one that is wireless removes all of the simplicity and takes it from an exercise in utilizing readily available components into a different realm. Wireless ACCURATE temperature transmission will cost ten times as much.
Use a rocking-roaster setup instead.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
But these

But these all seem to have wires that when the meat turns on the spit will wind around and around. I would like one that is wireless or a rotisserie that rotates 360 degrees in one direction, then reverses and goes 360 in the reverse so the cord does not wrap around the spit.
Thought that was your question (i.e., how do you keep the wires from twisting). As you have no question, perhaps you should ask a moderator to close this new thread so you don't get a bunch of not needed answers.

Toughtool

Joined Aug 11, 2008
Well, I still do not see a question in my post! Do you see a question mark in my statement? I was interested in the same thing the original TS was asking about but now we are on an entirely new thread that the moderator has created that now does not relate and now has no question. I simply made a statement that the link submitted by OBW0549 only had wired temperature sensors. I was hoping to see a wireless version.

perhaps you should ask a moderator to close this new thread
Since I did not ask the moderator to move or create this thread, why should I ask him to close it?

Last edited:

Toughtool

Joined Aug 11, 2008
You have an environment problem. Making a wireless transmitter with a battery to work at the temperature inside the barbecue and on the rotating spit is a "challenge". What is the budget for this feature? It can be done but it is not cheap.
Maybe, but did I not suggest a solution? A continuously reversing motor would solve the wire wrapping around the spit issue. How expensive would that be?

I was under the impression that these forums were to get conversations going and invite new and interesting ideas into the discussions and to learn from them. I didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a wad.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, I still do not see a question in my post! Do you see a question mark in my statement? I was interested in the same thing the original TS was asking about but now we are on an entirely new thread that the moderator has created that now does not relate and now has no question. I simply made a statement that the link submitted by OBW0549 only had wired temperature sensors. I was hoping to see a wireless version.
Basically, your post was off-topic, as the poster said nothing about a rotisserie. Some of us interpreted that as a question. As for your solution, that is what I have seen done.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Maybe, but did I not suggest a solution? A continuously reversing motor would solve the wire wrapping around the spit issue. How expensive would that be?

I was under the impression that these forums were to get conversations going and invite new and interesting ideas into the discussions and to learn from them. I didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a wad.
OK, reverse the spit rotation. That works for me or don't use a spit. Finally in BBQ personally I see no need to get temperature constantly. Anyone cooking should know when the temp is getting close. They should also know that when heat is removed the internal temp will continue to creep up for a short period of time. This is where experience around a BBQ Pit figures in. I have seen rotary slip rings for thermocouples, never used any but my understanding at the time was they do not work all that well. That said as I previously mentioned you can have just about anything you want if you are willing to pay for it. If I really did want a rotary slip ring for a thermocouple application where I am located I would start by calling Marlin Manufacturing Company locally to me or Omega Engineering Company and speak with an applications engineer. That's what applications engineers do they help you with applications in their specialty fields. As to cost? Beats me but a few well directed phone calls would likely bring about a resolution.

The original thread also mentioned electrical heating. Never saw a BBQ Pit electrically heated and my opinion is that would be a sacrilege. That's as bad as putting catsup or ketchup on a casing type all beef grilled hot dog. It simply isn't done and never should be done.

Ron

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
That's as bad as putting catsup or ketchup on a casing type all beef grilled hot dog. It simply isn't done and never should be done.
Oh great. Now I'm hungry for an all-beef hotdog slathered with relish, mustard and onions-- and the only hot dog stand in town closed down when the lockdown started.

Damn. Just... damn!

As soon as this accursed lockdown is lifted, I'm hitting the eateries and watering holes!

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019

Ok. Price is not a problem. RTD temperature probe with high temperature slip rings shielded from the main interior to keep the slip ring assembly below 250 Celsius and from getting too contaminated by smoke and grease. Use a temperature controller which accepts standard RTDs. That is my idea. My apologies if it is not interesting enough.