Telematics 3G mobile tracker with 1 digital out: want to reprogram outside manufacturers options.

Hansen

Joined May 3, 2015
I have several auto trackers with a digital output that I only use as a remote switch.
Q: The manufacturers standard setup only allows 2 different phone numbers along with passwords. I want to reprogram them so ANY ph number can send SMS text "on" and activate the digital out, then the tracker replies to the sender "confirmed: on"

I know most are programmed with AT command scripts, but can they also be programmed with C+, etc?
Thanks!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have several auto trackers with a digital output that I only use as a remote switch.
Q: The manufacturers standard setup only allows 2 different phone numbers along with passwords. I want to reprogram them so ANY ph number can send SMS text "on" and activate the digital out, then the tracker replies to the sender "confirmed: on"

I know most are programmed with AT command scripts, but can they also be programmed with C+, etc?
Thanks!
So let me see if I understand you. You want us to reverse engineer a product for which you have provided no documentation and change the manufacturer's firmware to suit a new requirement. I'm pretty sure that it is not legal and even if it were there are numerous obstacles. My initial estimate is that we are talking $50,000 - $60,000 in time an materials.

bypassing anticircumvention devices is a separate issue covered by section 1201 of the DMCA which forbids reverse engineering if it involves circumvention of a technological protection measure.

Hansen

Joined May 3, 2015
So let me see if I understand you. You want us to reverse engineer a product for which you have provided no documentation and change the manufacturer's firmware to suit a new requirement. I'm pretty sure that it is not legal and even if it were there are numerous obstacles. My initial estimate is that we are talking $50,000 - $60,000 in time an materials.

bypassing anticircumvention devices is a separate issue covered by section 1201 of the DMCA which forbids reverse engineering if it involves circumvention of a technological protection measure.
Thanks for your response. I have worked with some of the manufactures before and they showed me how to make it work somewhat using AT commands. Another manufacture adjusted his programming using C+. Since then, they have discontinued those models. I do not anticipate a problem with the manufactures, I am just asking if anyone is familiar with modifying 3G telematics. Q: if a device is normally modified with an AT command script, can it also be modified with C+?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for your response. I have worked with some of the manufactures before and they showed me how to make it work somewhat using AT commands. Another manufacture adjusted his programming using C+. Since then, they have discontinued those models. I do not anticipate a problem with the manufactures, I am just asking if anyone is familiar with modifying 3G telematics. Q: if a device is normally modified with an AT command script, can it also be modified with C+?
The two things are quite distinct. AT command scripts are "interpreted" by the firmware in the device and can alter data and parameters of an operating piece of firmware. C,or C++ are development languages that require a compiler to generate new code. This code must then be applied to the device by erasing the previous contents and replacing them with the brand new version. Sometimes, but not always, this requires special equipment to field update the device firmware. This assumes that you have access to the original source code.

It is an unwarranted assumption to posit that, because a device is not sold anymore; the company is no longer interested in what people do with it. If you don't believe me then you need to quickly get some competent legal advice.