Tektronix 2215 Rebuild

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I picked up used Tek 2215 scope off ebay for pretty cheap. In pics the unit seems to work but not sure since I don't have it yet .. It should be delivered Monday and I will have a better view of any problems and functionality of the unit..I would love to calibrate the unit but I don't tools to preform it ..

My plans
Replace Electro Caps
Buy contact cleaner to clean pots and switches( Any there any good contact cleaners out there and after cleaning does the switches need to be lubed ?)
Finish finding parts for Tek mod upgrade/repair kits
Find any other issues that need to be repaired or replaced
Am I forgetting anything??

Attachments

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Check out the TekScopes group on Yahoo. Those guys can be a huge help.
Thanks I am already part of them and 1 member is helping me find the right part number for the original upgrade kit provided by tek .. Then I will right a pdf file in order to better others with the Tek 2213 &2215 scopes..

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Thanks I am already part of them and 1 member is helping me find the right part number for the original upgrade kit provided by tek .. Then I will right a pdf file in order to better others with the Tek 2213 &2215 scopes..
I'm anxiously awaiting tips on contact cleaner. I have a 2445 that has contact problems (welcome to Arizona). I took it apart once with no joy. I was thinking of trying again and using some paper strips under each of the little contacts to try to get them clean again. I'm tired of banging on it like a 1950's TV. :(

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
................ I have a 2445 that has contact problems (welcome to Arizona)..................
Ron, I also have a 2445. I bought it used in 1995 when I lived in Las Vegas. It has been here in Tucson since 2000. The only problem I have had with it is the Channel B input module became flaky. I replaced it with a used module and it is working great. I have never had a problem with bad/intermittent contacts.

I would be very cautious about the kind of contact cleaner.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
What would you recommend then ??
Don't do anything with it except use it, exercise it, get to know it for two weeks. Put time on it. Let the parts bake out. If it works fine, I suggest you don't fix it.

I looked at the power supply upgrade. It requires replacement of the pre-regulator board. Do you know if your scope actually requires this upgrade? Can you get the entire kit?? Do you have a full manual for this scope?

Don't plan your wedding before you have had the first date.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
There is only a hand full caps in the whole scope .. My plan was to measure the esr of the caps and if any seem out of spec or don't look right just replace them all..
I know the transformer need inspection for the upgrade to see if the mod was done in order to save the crt from damage..I bought the scope as parts and sold as is ,but the screen shows a nice signals ..I will post updates when I receive the scope ..
Don't do anything with it except use it, exercise it, get to know it for two weeks. Put time on it. Let the parts bake out. If it works fine, I suggest you don't fix it.

I looked at the power supply upgrade. It requires replacement of the pre-regulator board. Do you know if your scope actually requires this upgrade? Can you get the entire kit?? Do you have a full manual for this scope?

Don't plan your wedding before you have had the first date.
The power supply mod is for a fixed cord unit and my unit already has the upgrade which matches with the serial number ..

Mods that might be needed according to tek but will need tear down to verify..
050-2242-03- Q935, Q946, Q947 or Q9070 replacement/Q933, Q935, Q940, Q942 in 2213 and 2215
040-1099-01 Improved Trigger
2200 series filament mod
[URL='http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/hardtofind/SUP3010.pdf']Instruction sheets for SUP 3010

[/URL]
[URL='http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/040-1099-00.pdf'] [/URL]http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/050-2242-03.pdf

http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/050-2242-03.pdf

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Update
I got a chance to work on the unit and found some issues . The input resistor where toast and second resistors where out of spec and still inspecting for other damaged parts ...I still have work on the main transformer to lower the crt voltage and find the trigger mod schematic..

Fixed already_
Case handle
Power switch which was stuck on

Attachments

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Update time..

I found a couple caps out of spec and decided to replace them all.. The other resistor where replaced and a couple other parts where upgraded in order to prevent problems later down the road..I fixed the switch too but need to get contact lube for the switch.. Right now it's up and running but the power rod is broke and a couple of setting are out spec..