Technics SU-CH7 Amplifier cutting out

Am I likely to be able to repair this by myself, or will i need a qualified technician?

• Repair by technician

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Since heat was not the issue and with such an old model, reflow soldering will be necessary.
Resoldering will be my next approach.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Well according to post#20 there is one test.

{ED}
Could be a Power switch or other switches issues.

For this u need to remove the front panel so you can access the solder side of the Panel PCB.
What you are looking for are the switch terminals.
You might need to disconnect the front panel and get comfortable.
Test
Put the DVM is resistance range.
Starting with the power switch, measure the resistance of the switch terminals one by one.
With the resistance meter connected measure the resistance, the reading might be in MΩ range if OK. Better to note down. While the meter is connected press the switch and take down the pressed position reading and note them down.
Do this for every switch and post back

Last edited:

T1m

Joined Mar 3, 2015
There is no power button on the front panel of the amp, there is an on/off switch at the back of the amplifier but it kills power to the whole unit. There is however a standby power button on the front of the radio tuner seperate, which when it's connected I am currently using to turn on the amp from standby. Did you manage to watch the video by the way? You can see me doing it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK.
Then first tell if the Amp is the only unit turning of or the whole thing goes to stby.
I believe you need the tuner to be connected in order for the amp to operate.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sorry I cannot. I can see u tube but your video just stays there frozen. No idea why.
If the whole things goes to stby can you switch it back on instantly or do you to wait 10 min before it allows you to switch on. ?

T1m

Joined Mar 3, 2015
What browser are you using? Try google Chrome instead!

Is there a better way to send you the video? Shall I upload to a different site, are Vimeo/Dailymotion any better for you?

I have to wait a while before i can switch it back on, yes normally about 10 minutes.

T1m

Joined Mar 3, 2015
I wanted to see exactly how long it took before I could turn the stereo back on once it switched itself off, so I plugged in the speakers and started playing a song at a decent level, Its now been playing for about 25 minutes continuously with no problems! This is really strange!!!

Doesn't really make any sense, this is the longest its lasted in a very long time!

I managed to get the video file down to 65MB, is that Ok for you to download? its here anyway: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7V-0q9AVeGuazhERC1Gd3FIRm8/view?usp=sharing

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
My bandwidth is limited and I do not have the luxury of fast internet. I spent quite a lot just to hang around here sometimes. My limit flies some month and other times it crawls. That is how it is here.

I hold on to what I said since your Amp now stays on for long.
Problem could be dry joints or the tactile switches in the Tuner

Hi guys

I have been pointed in your direction as i am having issues with my old school Technics SU-CH7 Amplifier turning its self off/cutting out. I saw there is another thread regarding this model but the OP...
Hi T1m! The problem is, probably, on the resistor R704 -from the turner- next to the power suply. I have the same problem; so I replace the resistor and voilà! the problem was solved.
Also, I uploaded the turner's service manual.

I hope you could solve the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good information, but T1m hasn't been here for 17 months.
Some other person might benefit from your experience, so it's not really a wasted effort.
Just be aware that answering old Threads might not get a response from the Thread Starter.;)

Hello

I have one of these amps and speakers, you are discussing in this post, Technics SU- CH7 . I dont have the other components neither do I have the ribbon cables nor the remote. I have a power cable and when I power it up and turn it on it goes into stand by mode, the red light is on, but it will not switch on. Is there a way to get it to work without the remote and the other components as would like to use it to play music using the inputs on the back.

Thanks