TDA7000 Chip - FM Radio

Shelton

Joined Mar 13, 2008
Hi All

I have a question regarding the TDA7000 chip. In the specification sheet, it says the RF input frequency range is 1.5MHz to 110MHz.

Is it possible to take a chip like this and pick up RF in the range of say
120-130MHz by using external LC components?

Or will the chip just wont work in this spectrum ?

Regards,
Shelton.

Shelton

Joined Mar 13, 2008
Hi Steve

Do you know of any chip that will work in this range - i mean like the TDA7000 - but can grab RF in the 120-130MHz range ?

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I'm sorry, I don't really know off hand. I'd have to take a look around.. All I know is that for non-standard ranges that they haven't made ASICs for, you need to downconvert with a LO to a standard IF where you would demodulate using a standard IC.

Steve

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The TDA7000 is obsolete and is not made anymore. There are newer similar ones that use "scanning" for tuning.
Their performance is horrible. They might pickup local FM stations but they fade in and out because the sensitivity is poor and local stations overload them. The distortion and noise is high.

In the 120-130MHz range are aviation AM narrow band communications, not wideband FM.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just don't try to make a superregen radio. :rolleyes:

Or if you do decide to do so, ask questions about them elsewhere. We've had quite enough of them lately, thank you very much.