Tail light LED circuit

Daveckj

Joined Nov 28, 2021
Hello all,

firstly I am a complete novice, so am not up to speed with any techno speak. I was wondering if people might be able to help me through a repair? I have a rear led light out of a Dodge Ram. Apparently they are sealed units and can’t be repaired......apparently.....the lense was cracked and the light has been slowly accumulating water over time.

So.....here is the basic issues. When the vehicle lights are in the off position the rear light works as expected, stop and turn work fine. When the running lights, or lights are in on position, the light illuminates but the the stop and turn function then don’t work.

I have added a picture of the board I have removed from the light(I used a hair drier to unseal the sealed unit).

any help on where to start would be massively appreciated.

951D29E6-6D05-4AC4-B790-E0A2E808CAB0.jpeg

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Thoroughly clean everything with Dish-Detergent and a Tooth-Brush.

Thoroughly rinse everything with DISTILLED-Water from your local Grocery-Store.

Thoroughly dry everything with a Towel, and then dry it with a Hair-Dryer on the High-Setting.
Actually spend some time on it, and get the Circuit-Board as HOT as you can with the Hair-Dryer.
This is to insure that there is no hidden moisture left in any small cracks or crevasses.

Some Spray-Contact-Cleaner, or "Brake-Clean" Spray is a good final rinse.
Let it Air dry for at least ~20 minutes before continuing.

Coat all Circuit-Boards and LEDs with Clear-Spray-Paint,
Let the Paint cure for at least 24-hours before re-sealing the Tail-Light-Housing.

Make sure the Tail-Light-Housing is perfectly SEALED Air-Tight.

If it still doesn't work, start scouring the local Junk-Yards for a replacement.

Daveckj

Joined Nov 28, 2021
Thoroughly clean everything with Dish-Detergent and a Tooth-Brush.

Thoroughly rinse everything with DISTILLED-Water from your local Grocery-Store.

Thoroughly dry everything with a Towel, and then dry it with a Hair-Dryer on the High-Setting.
Actually spend some time on it, and get the Circuit-Board as HOT as you can with the Hair-Dryer.
This is to insure that there is no hidden moisture left in any small cracks or crevasses.

Some Spray-Contact-Cleaner, or "Brake-Clean" Spray is a good final rinse.
Let it Air dry for at least ~20 minutes before continuing.

Coat all Circuit-Boards and LEDs with Clear-Spray-Paint,
Let the Paint cure for at least 24-hours before re-sealing the Tail-Light-Housing.

Make sure the Tail-Light-Housing is perfectly SEALED Air-Tight.

If it still doesn't work, start scouring the local Junk-Yards for a replacement.
Thanks I shall give it a good clean up as you suggest.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The problems You have been experiencing with this Tail-Light are caused
by the Minerals in the Water that has gotten inside the Housing.
These Minerals will conduct Electricity to one degree or another,
and cause odd Short-Circuits between components on the Circuit-Board.

All of these Minerals must be removed, and all parts thoroughly cleaned and dried,
to restore the original functionality of the various Circuits.