Tactile Micro Push Buttons - Whirlpool Washer User Panel buttons

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I have a Whirlpool HE 3T washer that doesn't respond well to button pushes.
I usually have to press and press and wiggle and press and on and on to get the buttons to make changes.

SO today I removed the PC boards and checked the tactile micro switches directly.
Oddly, most of them seem to not work according to my VOM (continuity and ohms tests). When the leads are placed across them and then the button pushed, nothing happens. No change in resistance and no continuity. A few show some response but many don't.

Are Tactile micro switches prone to failure over time? I would say the washer is 10 years old.
Is it "likely" that this could be the only problem with the push button controls on my washer?

Thanks

Tactile_Button_20170624_120401.jpg

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A lot of switches like that have 4 pins, of which only 2 have contacts internally. Are you sure you had the meter probes on the correct pins?
And yes, that type of switch does wear out and fail (at least, the left-click one on my mouse does!).

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
From the ones I have obtained, there are 4 pins, but a pair on each side are connected together. Just two connections for each pole.
Max.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
These appear to be 2 pin switches. There are only two solder points to test them. It would be great this is the only problem :)

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Does anyone know if I'm testing them correctly? The show infinity or open at rest.....and "some" of them show about 500 ohms resistance when pressed....but I didn't get full continuity on any of them.