T12 Soldering Station - Get glowing hot with Error

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Hi guys,

I was hoping i could find some help here with my solder station. It really only used like 10 times, so its fairly new.

Suddenly i gave small electric shocks when the wand was in the stand, but i thought its properbly just because of ground connection, shortly after the iron start glowing burning hot.. tip is damaged by now, but thats the least of my concern, but what happened? Is it fried, or can i fix it?

Let make it clear i am not expert here, i just mess around with electrics learning from mistakes, so please explain so a noob understands.

Thnks guys

Video:
Some photo:

IMG_9855.JPGIMG_9856.JPGIMG_9857.JPGIMG_9860.JPGIMG_9859.JPG
IMG_9868.JPG

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Welcome to AAC!
Is it still under warranty?
thank you!

Nope, i have bad habit of buying things, and not put them use.. anyway this was from aliexpress. I did contact the shop, but they just read my msg and not reply

Last edited:

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Welcome to AAC!
Is it still under warranty?
Nope, i have bad habit of buying things, and not put them use.. anyway this was from aliexpress. I did contact the shop, but they just read my msg and not reply
Maybe the NTC in the iron is open circuit or disconnected.
Maybe whatever is controlling the iron power is short circuit.
Thank you!

i know so much that its not the Iron, because i had another i tested with, same result, i even took a new tip just to make sure, that too got glowing red, as soon as you insert it.

could it me some kind of thermostat, or controller thingy that is not working, so it just full on. I dlnt know what such thing is called.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
From the picture of the board, and the writing around the pencil socket shown below, I beileve the temperature is measured by a NTC (negative temperature coefficient) component in the iron and then the power to the iron is controlled depending on the resistance of that NTC.
IMG_9856.JPG

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
From the picture of the board, and the writing around the pencil socket shown below, I beileve the temperature is measured by a NTC (negative temperature coefficient) component in the iron and then the power to the iron is controlled depending on the resistance of that NTC.
View attachment 205275
thank you!

ok, but how is that possible? When i tested with another iron, not made for this station, and i get the same problem. I do understand what you are saying, and it makes perfectly sense. Just dont see how when it both irons. Would it help if i take the irons a part and show you? Or this NTC wont show any signs if broken?

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
As you can see, two dufferent iron causes same problem, so as i see it, its must be a problem inside the the box?

thank you.

9639FD47-B85D-4D3F-A4AF-4FE2EBD09416.png22C77FBA-0E6B-4A9B-A12E-1222B19E716E.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
anyway this was from aliexpress. I did contact the shop, but they just read my msg and not reply
A lot of stuff sold on Ali Express is crap and the Sellers rarely know anything about what they're selling.

My suggestion is to scrap it and buy a used iron from a well known brand.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
as i see it, its must be a problem inside the the box?
So the NTC in the iron signals to the box what the temperature is, and then some circuitry in the box controls the power to the iron, perhaps using a MOSFET. I can't see the board clearly enough to be able to identify what the board is doing. If it is controlled with a MOSFET then the MOSFET may be short circuit which would give you just the effect you observe.

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Hi guys,

I was hoping i could find some help here with my solder station. It really only used like 10 times, so its fairly new.

Suddenly i gave small electric shocks when the wand was in the stand, but i thought its properbly just because of ground connection, shortly after the iron start glowing burning hot.. tip is damaged by now, but thats the least of my concern, but what happened? Is it fried, or can i fix it?

Let make it clear i am not expert here, i just mess around with electrics learning from mistakes, so please explain so a noob understands.

Thnks guys

Video:
Some photo:

View attachment 205250View attachment 205251View attachment 205252View attachment 205253View attachment 205254
View attachment 205255
Å
A lot of stuff sold on Ali Express is crap and the Sellers rarely know anything about what they're selling.

My suggestion is to scrap it and buy a used iron from a well known brand.
i know i should have invested in better quality, but there were mixed reviews, some say its amazing (maybe they ment the price) others say garbage. But i still have a TS100 i can use, till i find something better. Thank you

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It could be that a mosfet or scr has a short, so constant power is delivered.
What is written on the part N1?

roberthein_IMG_9860_comment.JPG

Bertus

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
So the NTC in the iron signals to the box what the temperature is, and then some circuitry in the box controls the power to the iron, perhaps using a MOSFET. I can't see the board clearly enough to be able to identify what the board is doing. If it is controlled with a MOSFET then the MOSFET may be short circuit which would give you just the effect you observe.
thank you, a mosfet...no clue to be honest. But i can try taking better photos. This mosfet, can i measure if its working? Or see if its not?

roberthein

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Thanks guys, you lost me a bit.. so what should i try? buy those two things, they cant be expensive. I cannot test with multimeter? how does it just suddenly go poof! Thats normal?