Switching transformer using lampback and flyback

vngn10

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Hello everyone, I wanna make a circuit which is high voltage around 10kV ~ 20kV to generate cold plasma.
My diagram for the circuit is: Full wave rectifier -> Oscillating circuit -> Switching transformer step up high voltage
I get struggle at the last step "Switching transformer" to step up high voltage. My professor said I should use the lampback transformer and flyback transformer. I have search about lampback and flyback but I dont really know about their role in switching transformer to step up high voltage.
Can someone explain for me please?!
Have a nice day, and thank you for reading this thread

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
In an old TV or CRT monitor the high voltage comes from a flyback transformer like this. (no lampback)
1637853524279.png
Flyback is a type of circuit.
Almost any transformer or inductor can be used in flyback mode. These transformers are not built for high voltage but many are used in that mode.
1637853729868.png

vngn10

Joined Jun 5, 2021
In an old TV or CRT monitor the high voltage comes from a flyback transformer like this. (no lampback)
View attachment 253510
Flyback is a type of circuit.
Almost any transformer or inductor can be used in flyback mode. These transformers are not built for high voltage but many are used in that mode.
View attachment 253511
My professor told me to use this lampback. So this one will use to purify the AC voltage that flyback steps up right, sir?
And thank you for your response

Attachments

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I think flyback and lampback are the same word. (translation problem)
Picture of very old flyback transformer form a CRT type TV. It is like your transformer.
1637854817652.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My professor told me to use this lampback. So this one will use to purify the AC voltage that flyback steps up right, sir?
And thank you for your response
A transformaer is a transformer. They all work according to the same principles. The differences are in their parameters and their construction. I have a vague idea what it means to 'purify' the AC voltage. It is possible that it means 'convert the AC to DC', after that convert the DC into High Voltage DC. This is where the second transformer comes in. The oscillator is running at a much higher frequency than the power transformer (which is operating at 50/60 Hz depending which continent you are on) so the construction of the 2nd transformer will need to account for the change in frequency, the difference in voltage, and the difference in current.

Did I get that sort of correct?

vngn10

Joined Jun 5, 2021
A transformaer is a transformer. They all work according to the same principles. The differences are in their parameters and their construction. I have a vague idea what it means to 'purify' the AC voltage. It is possible that it means 'convert the AC to DC', after that convert the DC into High Voltage DC. This is where the second transformer comes in. The oscillator is running at a much higher frequency than the power transformer (which is operating at 50/60 Hz depending which continent you are on) so the construction of the 2nd transformer will need to account for the change in frequency, the difference in voltage, and the difference in current.

Did I get that sort of correct?
Oh I got it clearly.
Thanks a lot, sir!!!

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Last edited:

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Seems your professor told you to use flyback transformer, which used in AC (Air Conditioner) to purify air from lampblack.
ADDED:
Maybe first transformer should be "fume hood transformer" - sometimes named as "lampblack transformer"?
They usually have 12V secondary. Then you will rectify 12V AC,
then will connect oscillator, then "flyback transformer" = "switching transformer" = "lampblack purifying HV transformer".
---------------
"Fume hood transformer" = "Lampblack transformer" - link

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I designed a prototype HV power supply for a air filter for Water Pick many years ago. I used a flyback transformer from a CRT monitor. We used millions/month of that flyback transformer and understood it very well. At that point in time a custom small transformer would have cost more money. We knew the reliability of the CRT transformer. Most transformer companies do not know HV and their parts breakdown with time.