Switches or Jumpers or Relays?

Manjesh Gowda

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Hey,
I want to divert the power flow between two lines as shown in the figure.

My question is, Is it possible to divert the power flow just using toggle switch? Because I am not going to switch between the lines when it is operating. I only switch it when the circuit is off. I am going to do it on PCB. Do I have to worry about any ratings? I thought of using relays but anyways it takes lot of space and also as I said I am not going to do the switch it when the system is working. Please let me know if its possible or not. If its possible what are the factors I should worry about. Thanks.

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The first thing I saw when I viewed your sketch was that if you close S1 and A3 or S2 and S4 at the same time, you will short out the 400V supply! That is dangerous!
Try to explain in words, the sequence of events you are trying to achieve. That will let us understand it better and will let us make constructive suggestions.

Manjesh Gowda

Joined Oct 19, 2020
The first thing I saw when I viewed your sketch was that if you close S1 and A3 or S2 and S4 at the same time, you will short out the 400V supply! That is dangerous!
Try to explain in words, the sequence of events you are trying to achieve. That will let us understand it better and will let us make constructive suggestions.
As u can see in the diagram it is an inverter and it gives 400V square wave, 40A rms at 85khz(fixed value). I want to switch between inductors(divert power flow). I thought of doing it using Relays with rated 40A but the thing is I am not doing live switching so I think i can use Relay which rated as 10A. May be I have to worry about voltage rating.

Manjesh Gowda

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Hey,

I have already asked this question but again I am asking it with a clear view. As u can see in the diagram attached I need to divert power coming from inverter. I want to maintain the power flow either through the short circuit line or through inductor using switch, Relay or jumpers.

I have thought about doing it with switch but then I thought It is difficult to find out the switch with this rated current.

(Good thing is I do not switch when the system is working)

When I looked about the jumpers I could not find it with higher rating. I found some power connecters but I am not sure how to use it.
But jumpers seem cost effective and also consume less space.

I found many relays which is rated for my application but the size are very big. I think I have to use min of 800V rating Relay just to be on safer side because of the voltage spike.

Please suggest out of 3, which way is best suitable for this application. U can suggest any other ways like any connectors which would do the job with less losses. Thank you

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Why do you want to short circuit the output of a 400V inverter? That does not make any sense and is dangerous!
If you can explain why what you are doing is safe, I will try to help you.
Regards,
Keith

Manjesh Gowda

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Why do you want to short circuit the output of a 400V inverter? That does not make any sense and is dangerous!
If you can explain why what you are doing is safe, I will try to help you.
Regards,
Keith
Sorry for not posting the full circuit. It is LLC resonant converter. I am actually doing the Compensation network by switching required inductance.

Manjesh Gowda

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Hey Guys,

I found another way of diverting the power without using relays or switches or jumpers.

I am thinking of using Anderson power poles which is shown in the diagram.
It has a rating up to 150A and I just connect using this before i turn on the circuit.
Please let me know if this works for my concern.
if it works what care I should take to work safely.
Thank you

Attachments