Switches, in the car for my horn,

Jimvegas

Joined Nov 12, 2021
I hope I’m posting in the correct area, my question is about a switch/button,

The car stereo store wants $50 to answer my question,
Hopefully someone can be kind enough to help me here.

I have a switch with two connections, it is a 12 V switch that is used in the car for my horn, The positive wire from the horn is going to the battery .

one wire is connected to my horns negative…and the switch is connected to that wire as well, just on the other side, so it’s feeding back to the negative (I think this may be called completing a negative circuit or wire, so when the button is pressed it will connect the negative.

now my question is can I hook up another device just like that, I’m trying to hook up a solenoid, positive from the solenoid to the battery, and then -2 the same switch, the reason I want to do this is so I hit one button and the horn will beep and the solenoid will open for my other horns

so I guess to make it simpler my switch is just completing one negative wire connection

So will it Complete to negative connections?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Carefully reading your description, I think it will work. But I think you mean “relay” and not “solenoid”?

Have you tried to sketch how the wires will be connected? That is a schematic, the language of electronics.

Jimvegas

Joined Nov 12, 2021
Carefully reading your description, I think it will work. But I think you mean “relay” and not “solenoid”?

Have you tried to sketch how the wires will be connected? That is a schematic, the language of electronics.
Hello and thank you for the reply, it is a solenoid that opens the air valve for a horn

So I will be connecting the negative from the solenoid and the negative from the horn to one pin on the switch, then the other pin on the swtich will go back to those two negatives to complete circuit when I press button,

sound like it may work ?

jimmy

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In theory, yes. But (there’s always a but) the horn and solenoid in parallel will draw more current. If the existing switch isn’t rated for the total current, it’s contacts could weld together resulting in horns that can’t be turned off.

Jimvegas

Joined Nov 12, 2021
So always carry a wire cutter in your vehicle. ;)
It’s a switch that has five wires, two of them is for the switch to light up
Here is a photo
I purchased this fire MISSLE light up button from Amazon, it’s pretty cool I have it connected to speakers and it makes sound effects, now I want to hook up an air blaster which blows air when you hit the button as well as sound effects, so that’s why I want to be able to use one button to start sound effects from my Adafruit soundboard, and then the cell annoyed to open up the air from the tank to blow air like it’s firing a missile LOL, so I kind of have to have both of these on one button

Attachments

Jimvegas

Joined Nov 12, 2021
It’s a switch that has five wires, two of them is for the switch to light up
Here is a photo
I purchased this fire MISSLE light up button from Amazon, it’s pretty cool I have it connected to speakers and it makes sound effects, now I want to hook up an air blaster which blows air when you hit the button as well as sound effects, so that’s why I want to be able to use one button to start sound effects from my Adafruit soundboard, and then the cell annoyed to open up the air from the tank to blow air like it’s firing a missile LOL, so I kind of have to have both of these on one button
I made a mistake explaining,
The light up fire MISSLE switch right now is hooked up to the fuse box ..to power on the Red light, next I have a green and a yellow that’s hooked up to a Adafruit soundboard, not the horn, when the button is pressed it completes the negative circuit and there is a sound effect like a missile firing, I want to hook the solenoid up to the same button so when it’s pressed it will shoot air onto the passenger when they hit the button, and also play the sound effect.

I wish I knew how to use relays, but do you think it will work the way I’m explaining it.