Switch with low internal profile

wocketpatch

Joined Jan 16, 2016
Hi, I'm working on a project where I've hit a snag in that the small rear-mounted DPDT switch takes a little more space inside than is available causing the back panel to not lay flush (the body of the switch is hitting something inside)..

I'm looking for a switch that either has a deliberately low profile internal design, or possibly something that mounts with the switch mechanism on the outside of the panel. Trouble is, I don't know what that would be called or how to look for one. Any thoughts? I'm glad to provide more detail if there are any clarifications needed.

I'm making use of a 3 way toggle switch currently but could easily change the design to work with just a 2 way on/off switch.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Can you remove the paddle or cut it down to fit? How much room do you have? Are you limited by the PCB design? Have you used the Digikey or Mouser parametric search?

Sorry, more questions to your question...

wocketpatch

Joined Jan 16, 2016
Can you remove the paddle or cut it down to fit? How much room do you have? Are you limited by the PCB design? Have you used the Digikey or Mouser parametric search?

Sorry, more questions to your question...
I am really just a cm or two short of space. It's because I added the switch for some functionality that wasn't included in the original design and I failed to account for the size of the mechanism on the inside of the panel. There is nothing in there that I can cut down. I googled low profile switch but all I find are switches that are low profile on the outside like push button and rocker switches, but they still have similar internal switchbox sizes. I actually have a fair amount of space on the outside of the panel so a switch where more of the mechanism sits on the outside than the inside should work. I feel like I've seen switches like that before but I don't know what they would be called.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Sounds like what you mean by low profile is thin body. The problem here is that a DPDT switch is actually two SPDT mechanisms packed into one body, with an actuator that moves both mechanisms at the same time. There needs to be a minimum amount of space between the two SPDT sections for electrical insulation at whatever voltage the switch is rated for. C&K, E-Switch, NKK, Alpha, Alps, ITT...?

How large an actuator and what kind of termination do you need? Does it have to toggle, or will a slide switch work? Environmental seals?

ak

wocketpatch

Joined Jan 16, 2016
Actually I can easily make it work with a simple SPST switch for on/off. I was already questioning whether the 3way switch functionality was worth the extra trouble even before running into this problem. A slide switch would work fine, but it needs to be air tight so it would need a gasket or something and the other trouble is the panel is metal and I don't think I have the tools to do precision cuts that small, which means putting it in a round hole is preferred so I can just drill the panel. Thanks for all the replies so far!

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Actually I can easily make it work with a simple SPST switch for on/off. I was already questioning whether the 3way switch functionality was worth the extra trouble even before running into this problem. A slide switch would work fine, but it needs to be air tight so it would need a gasket or something and the other trouble is the panel is metal and I don't think I have the tools to do precision cuts that small, which means putting it in a round hole is preferred so I can just drill the panel. Thanks for all the replies so far!
How much room do you have on the inside of the panel?