Superconductors

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm not a believer in the singularity.
The unknown limits of human intelligence and self-awareness are black magic compared to any possible current technology. We are just making log stick figures to look like the big birds we see flying high in the sky.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110201-tribe-da-02.photoblog900.jpg

The 'Blade Singularity"
http://www.economist.com/node/5624861?story_id=5624861

I admit my feelings on AI in general were from a young age after reading this story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_Mouth,_and_I_Must_Scream

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Like I said, the Wikipedia article was changed for the worse. I suspect a better answer is not AI or enhanced intelligence, but for of a case of we don't know what will happen. Something may happen, or it may be a case where we muddle through as usual.

I kinda doubt it, since I've been following developments pretty closely. Right now they are a comfortable shade above liquid nitrogen (and slowly creeping upwards).

If you could find the link I'd appreciate it.

Liquid Nitrogen (LN) temperature is 77°K, -196°C, or -321°F according to it's Wikipedia article. An interesting side note about LN is that since it is colder than liquid oxygen any container with LN on it (and is not insulated) liquid oxygen will condense on the outside, creating a substantial safety hazard. Guys who deliver LN have to be constantly aware of this on their hoses.

Again, according to Wikipedia, the highest temperature superconducting material is 138°K, which translates to -135°C or -211°F. The field has a huge amount of R&D behind it, so this is a moving number.
Bill...as the current Holy Grail is as far as Superconductivity...that being able to use a material that will be superconductive at temps. that are not cold in the extreme as well as not have the need to use coolants such as Liquid Nitrogen to cool such materials to allow Superconductivity...thus the Holy Grail would either to achieve Superconductivity at or near to Room Temp. or to take another much less discussed route that involves the concept of not using or needing a MATERIAL to conduct at the fasted and most efficient rate possible but rather use a method that get the electrons to where they are needed to allow a very different form of Electronic Equipment to work.

When reading about Tesla's designs upon broadcasting Electrical Current through the Earth and Air...it came to me that it would be possible to broadcast at basically the Speed of Light...Quanta directly to...to and from...and to and in between specifics of what I can only describe as a Virtual Circuit Board.

We use Liquid Nitrogen and use expensive and exotic materials and do research and development all for the purpose of being able to power something at the greatest efficiency as well as obtaining the greatest speed of either computation or transmission.

I believe it is possible to broadcast an EM Wavelength and by duration, alternating frequency, signal strength, and other abilities to manipulate such a broadcast...do and achieve the very same thing that a Physical Circuit Board does.

As Physics and Math are more of my strong points in relation to any abilities I have in circuits and electronics outside using them in the field of Music and Recording...I will ask any and all here if they believe what I have just proposed is possible or inevitable...as I feel the second is true.

Split Infinity

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Believes don't really matter in science, the physical evidence is what counts. No one has been able to truly duplicate Tesla's work on tranmitted, though our understanding on the field has gone a lot more forward due to his and other peoples work.

There is already a room temperature superconductor, but it totally unusable. It requires pressures that can not be easily duplicated outside a labratory, at least that is my take.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
where does tha current come from in "superconductors" ? after all, silver is a very good conductor, but without a current flow, it is non magnetic.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I presume the same place normal current comes from, with one important difference. Induce a current in a ring of superconducting material and you make a permanent magnet, because the current will flow until the current path is broken.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I quit keeping up on superconductors when I heard “electron pairs”, quite a while ago.

I have no idea of the surface of these materials, but I’m sure it’s relevant.

As for the temperature aspect, it can only effect the conductor, not the free electrons.

Maybe the reduction in surface flux is like adding altitude to free charge, for a smoother ride.

All particles have AM, if it’s lined up, it should only take a nudge.

These are just conjectures, but I hope they succeed with room temp or higher, cheap versions.

I think resistance is cause by surface symmetry or I should say lack of.

Unfortunately, this very thing I believe is what gives us free electrons.

Perhaps the answer to super conductivity is using a smooth insulator and adding mass(electrons) , from an external source, tuned(energy level) to insulator symmetry.

The circuit would always be charged, and require a power supply only to do work. When off, the charge remains constant because of no heat process. You could leave the circuit off and oscillating or rotating,......as long as you allow no external absorption.

Capacitance and inductance might be inserted with conductor geometry.

It’s quite exciting.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So... you quit keeping up on something as soon as you heard a term that you didn't understand, and, instead of seeking to understand it, even at a lay level, you choose instead to throw out baseless conjectures consisting of nothing but strings of technobabble.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Oh, I can’t wait. Please tell me the lay level explanation of superconductivity.

I am most willing to listen and learn.

Technobabble is a layman’s term for electronics. Thank you, for that’s exactly what is is.

If you combine a knowledge of electronics with a little bit of angular momentum and a dash a symmetry, I believe that for the first time we can understand physical reality.

When you put these three together, it answers a lot of questions.

I’m going to pay attention to it.

You may not.