Superconducting in the Antartic...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Did you notice that they had to use a pressure of 1.6 million times atmospheric pressure?

Also, having a critical temperature of T does not mean that it is a usable superconductor at T -- in fact, by definition it means that it can carry zero current and must be in the presence of zero magnetic field to be in the superconducting state.

As for domestic applications of superconductors in your lifetime -- ever heard of an MRI machine?

Guess it depends on what you mean by "domestic" applications.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Did you notice that they had to use a pressure of 1.6 million times atmospheric pressure?
Yes I did. The sort of "feat" they're proclaiming is not practical in the real world... just yet. Still pretty impressive don't you think?
And what I meant by domestic is an application that I'd like to see at home... just like lasers were unimaginable for the average Joe in the 1950's... I don't know, maybe a community superconducting hoverboard ring for our great-grandchildren?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I was just trying to think of domestic applications of lasers and realized that I can't think of very many. Laser pointers, distance measures, and levels are all that come to mind. I guess laser printers are probably a biggie along with CD/DVD/BD reader/writers. Seems like there must be others. We interact with barcode scanners a lot, but not at home. What other applications can you think of?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, nowdays we scan with cameras on cell phones.

Laser printers are a major application, I suspect a lot of homes have them.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Doesn't an optical mouse have a laser LED in it? It's certainly a domestic application.
My understanding is that if you can see the light, it is just a red LED. If you can't, then it is likely an infrared laser diode. They haven't been around too long and I don't know how common they are, but I would definitely say they qualify as a domestic application, even if one that has not really taken off yet. I'm sure they will.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, nowdays we scan with cameras on cell phones.

Laser printers are a major application, I suspect a lot of homes have them.
I don't think households ever had laser barcode scanners (aside from the rare technophile, which doesn't count). But I agree that laser printers are a major case, which is why I said that they were probably a biggie.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Fibre optics and laser printers.
Fiber optics is probably legitimate, though I don't know how many homes have any fiber at all. I think the trend in stereo systems is away from the fiber connections, but I don't follow it so I could well be wrong. But even if they don't have much inside the house, communication service up to the house is increasingly going fiber and I would think that that would be close enough to making it a domestic application.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Maybe we will eventually have Light Sabers, Flux Capaitors, and Beam Me Up Scotty devices.

I am amazed at new technology, like 3D Printing.

Is that Laser in any way?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Maybe we will eventually have Light Sabers, Flux Capaitors, and Beam Me Up Scotty devices.

I am amazed at new technology, like 3D Printing.

Is that Laser in any way?
3D printing evolved from a previous process called stereo-lithography, in which a laser helped solidify a liquid polymer in a container one layer at a time. 3d printing works pretty much the same, but using powdered materials instead, like thermoplastics, polymers and metals.