Super cool dad or not?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"disaster waiting to happen" was a good description.
He broke rule number 2: Never take a partner in crime.
With about 200 partners in this crime, discovery was inevitable. :(

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My vote is NOT, too.

Just another example of parents that want to be "friends" with their children. Kids have plenty of "friends", they need parents to be, well, "parents".

I hope (and will do what I can, which only goes so far, to make it a reality) that my daughter will grow up and not want to have those kinds of "friends", or think that parents like that are "cool". Hopefully my daughter will grow up with more self-respect than to be lured into acting like a little whore in front of some "friend's" middle-age father.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The worst I recall, a father who authorized his two eldest children to smoke in front of him at the age of 15. Maybe because they were already grown up men? At the age of 33, one had to quit cigarettes because he was having hard times trying to climb ladders (and vessels have a LOT of them).

Not a good thing, really.

BTW, I could pass the phone number of my eldest brother to any volunteer and if he manages to understand what he says, pleas let me know.

Not a good thing either.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
My vote is NOT, too.

Just another example of parents that want to be "friends" with their children. Kids have plenty of "friends", they need parents to be, well, "parents".

I hope (and will do what I can, which only goes so far, to make it a reality) that my daughter will grow up and not want to have those kinds of "friends", or think that parents like that are "cool". Hopefully my daughter will grow up with more self-respect than to be lured into acting like a little whore in front of some "friend's" middle-age father.

My Kids, knew where the line was drawn.

In my presence, they never crossed it.

Cannot always keep an eye on all the Grandkids and Great-Grandkids, though.:mad::D

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
:confused::confused:When I was about 12, I sneaked a beer from the fridge, and proceeded to try it... Needless to say, my dad caught me, and I thought sure I was dead...

He didn't get mad... he let me finish the beer, and then invited me to share some whisky.
Thinking [ at the time ] I was some kind of tough-guy, I poured about 3oz. of 100 proof, and proceeded to... get so DAMN sick... it was YEARS before I forgot ......
Oops... Looks like I still ain't forgot it...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was corrupted at a young age, too. My grandfather would babysit me with beer. :( Half a can and I was out for the whole afternoon. Whine! I would much rather have had a conversation with him!

Well, maybe I wouldn't. Maybe I would have found he was a simple, old, farmer...just as he appeared to be. The whine is about never finding out who he was. :(

I don't think the beer hurt my health, but the side effects of drinking took their price in the form of missed opportunities, lack of communication in the family, and a disjoint between generations.

Wow! I'm a lot smarter than I was 55 years ago. :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I can't remember a time growing up that I was denied alcohol. Whenever we had wine with dinner, which was maybe four holidays a year, I was always asked if I wanted a sip or even a glass. The result was that I never had any curiosity about alcohol and I also evaluated it on its own merits using the taste preferences of a child, which is that alcohol tastes far worse than just about any of the alternatives and that I would much rather have a good grape juice than a good wine.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Definitely NOT cool. Parents rely on each other and society at large to help keep all our kids moving in the right directions, and to keep them safe until they have enough sense to look out for themselves. Then along comes this douchebag lawyer.

The alcohol is just the tip of the un-coolness iceberg in this story, but it's enough. Too many kids that age die on the highway after just such a night.

I support exposing kids to alcohol early in life, to de-mystify it. I saw too many laced-up kids get to campus and simply lose their minds. They had no experience reining themselves in, because mommy and daddy had that covered for them. When the shackles came off, they had zero ability to handle their new freedom.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I support exposing kids to alcohol early in life, to de-mystify it. I saw too many laced-up kids get to campus and simply lose their minds. They had no experience reining themselves in, because mommy and daddy had that covered for them. When the shackles came off, they had zero ability to handle their new freedom.
So true. Of course, as with all things, there are limits. It's okay to expose your kids to some things and not okay to expose them to other things just because, at least superficially, the same reasoning could be applied. My dad exposed me to alcohol and firearms before I was old enough to have any memories of it and we have done the same with our daughter. But me dad did not expose me to heroine and I did not expose our daughter to crystal meth using this same rationale -- though I have had interactions with some kids/parents that have done both. Kids need experience AND boundaries and it's the parents' role to provide BOTH.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, I think early exposure is only warranted for things they will likely encounter and enjoy regularly in life, legally. Heroine and meth are not on that list. Alcohol, firearms and bacon all are.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I can't remember a time growing up that I was denied alcohol. Whenever we had wine with dinner, which was maybe four holidays a year, I was always asked if I wanted a sip or even a glass. The result was that I never had any curiosity about alcohol and I also evaluated it on its own merits using the taste preferences of a child, which is that alcohol tastes far worse than just about any of the alternatives and that I would much rather have a good grape juice than a good wine.
That's actually teaching children that there's nothing wrong with having a drink, if you're the right age... Down here legal drinking age is 18 and we have far fewer alcoholics than in countries where legal drinking age is 21. I personally find it stupid to recognize an 18 year old person as an adult who's old enough to get married or go to war but not to have a beer...
Anyway, the party idea by the father was a very stupid one... if only because he was breaking the law.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's actually teaching children that there's nothing wrong with having a drink, if you're the right age... Down here legal drinking age is 18 and we have far fewer alcoholics than in countries where legal drinking age is 21. I personally find it stupid to recognize an 18 year old person as an adult who's old enough to get married or go to war but not to have a beer...
Anyway, the party idea by the father was a very stupid one... if only because he was breaking the law.
The drinking age in Colorado when I was a teen was 18 for 3.2% beer and 21 for everything else. I don't know if the accident/death rate among 18-20 year olds went down of not, though I think I WOULD know if it had gone down significantly since it would have been highly touted. I generally agree that if someone is old enough to accept the consequences of so many things at 18, then they are almost certainly old enough to accept the responsibility to drink responsibly. The significant reduction in drunk driving fatalities on our roads is much more strongly correlated with much stricter penalties and enforcement that has taken place over the last few decades. I remember, as a child, that killing someone with your car was treated LESS seriously if you were drunk because, after all, you weren't in complete control of yourself and so how can you be held responsible.

As for this moronic dad, I really don't know which I find worse. That he let underage kids drink at the party (that's bad by itself), that he let them get completely drunk (if you are going to let them drink, then monitor things and keep them from getting wasted), or having them pretend to be Playboy bunnies and prance around half naked and who knows what else was going on there. That last part I find particularly loathsome.

While I feel the article linked in the OP is illustrative of reprehensible parenting (hence you may count me as a 'not') --- I am adamant that, with reference to 18 year-olds, inasmuch as they are deemed sufficiently 'mature' for (full) criminal liability/responsibility and military servitude, they're damn sure old enough to drink!...

Best regards
HP