Sulfuric Acid

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The mist seems to cause canser:

Carcinogenicity:
Cancer Status: The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified "strong inorganic acid mists containing sulfuric acid" as a known human carcinogen, (IARC category 1). This classification applies only to mists containing sulfuric acid and not to sulfuric acid or sulfuric acid solutions.
Bertus

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Lightfire said:
Materials Needed.

10 ml of sulfuric acid
zinc strip
copper strip
glass/container
electric wire
water
bulb

Um, how many voltage you think the sulfuric acdid will produce???? and what bulb should i use???
I am amazed this thread has not been locked following advice from a moderator to Lightfire not to do it. He is about 10 years old and apparently has little supervision. One previous thread wondered about touching a 220V AC line with his bare fingers. Another wondered about operating lead-acid batteries under water in a stream.

Does he know, for example, the correct way to dilute sulfuric acid? Should he add the acid to water or add water to the acid? Does he understand the difference and why? (The former is correct.) Is he aware of the potential for forming a mist of sulfuric acid when he adds zinc to it? What if he uses powdered zinc? Is he aware of the dangers of producing hydrogen, particularly if he somehow puts a cap on the bulb with acid and zinc? Does he have safety glasses or even appreciate what the requirements for effective safety glasses are? Does he have acid-resistant rubber gloves? (Latex gloves are virtually worthless with sulfuric acid.).

And finally, is he aware that many of the dangers of sulfuric acid remain even when it is diluted. As pointed out above, sulfuric acid is a very strong, non-volatile, acid. The water in a diluted solution will evaporate leaving behind relatively concentrated sulfuric acid. That is one reason holes in fabric from dilute spills may not appear for several days. A splash on a bench may look like it is evaporated, but the acid remains, and one can receive a chemical burn from it. Only the water evaporated. The acid must be neutralized or otherwise disposed of safely. Sulfuric acid carbonizes organic materials. That's why is is used to chemically clean glassware. Those characteristics are unlike other common strong acids like nitric of hydrochloric, both of which are volatile.

John

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
can i try the experiment. same procedudre but i am going to use vinegar instead of sulfuric acid. is it OK?
Yes you can try,I did it long ago with H2SO4 i.e.. sulfuric acid but remember one thing if you use concentrated sulfuric acid ,dilute it with distilled water (not tap water).I think vinegar idea is much better for now.

Good luck for your battery.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I am so glad people awared of me. No. I won't do it either. I know to myself I should not do it. About the 240 volts. I am just asking but I don't want to do it either. I just want everything to be clarified in my mind...

I have been restricted by my parents so the only way I can do to see anything I want is to ask. :)

I love to do something but those are dangerous. I know it's dangerous so i should not do that. So, the only thing I can do to see or to know the finish product of those dangerous experiment is to ask.

Um, jpanhalt, do you hate me now by asking dangerous things? :( i hope not, because i dont like that somebody hates me...

Thanks...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
jpanhalt, do you hate me now by asking dangerous things? :( i hope not, because i dont like that somebody hates me...
No my friend jpanhalt want to protect you against your self. And your experiment using Sulfuric Acid is not something even untrained grownups should do. If you do not have any ideas of what you are doing. It want help anything if you are an adult person. You will still be playing with fire. In electronics it is so many cool and safe things you can do. Why not start in that end. You can as one example make lemon battery. Completely safe and the same result.
In my country the Sulfuric Acid battery experiment would have been done only at university level. In a supervised lab environment. And all students using correct safety gear.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
No my friend jpanhalt want to protect you against your self. And your experiment using Sulfuric Acid is not something even untrained grownups should do. If you do not have any ideas of what you are doing. It want help anything if you are an adult person. You will still be playing with fire. In electronics it is so many cool and safe things you can do. Why not start in that end. You can as one example make lemon battery. Completely safe and the same result.
In my country the Sulfuric Acid battery experiment would have been done only at university level. In a supervised lab environment. And all students using correct safety gear.
In our country, you will need a very good reason if you will buy a sulfuric acid and you have to sign something.

I hope, jpanhalt really don't hate me. Because I got the feeling that he hate me. :( I hope my mind is just silly.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
jpanhalt is a good guy.. He has lived in Baltimore for gods-sake ;)

He does not hate you. You did not know it was dangerous when you asked.

Now you do.

No harm done. :)