subsonic, scratch and rumble filters circuits

Mikhail Nisparelevich

Joined Mar 5, 2018
i'm trying to find circuit for my project - amplifier for turntable. Finding circuits of phonoamp, poweramp and tone control was not a problem. But i cant find subsonic, scratch and rumble filters circuits based on op-amp. Please help me, if you can.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A subsonic filter is basically the same as a rumble filter.

For a scratch filter, rather than using a high frequency rolloff, I've heard of using a slew-rate limiter to minimize the filter's effect on the audio frequency response.
A scratch generally causes a large spike (pulse) in the waveform with a high slew-rate (amount the signal voltage changes with time).
A slew-rate filter limits the signal slew rate which attenuates the scratch signal, but has no effect on normal audio signals, which have slew-rates below the value used to suppress the scratch.
This works because the lower frequency audio signals, even at maximum amplitude, have a low slew rate, and the higher frequency audio signals are low amplitude, so their slew rates are also not high.
Here's an example of a simple slew-rate limiter circuit.

You'll have to experimentally determine the maximum slew-rate value that best limits the scratch, without significantly affecting the audio. R1 can be a pot to allow adjustment of the slew rate.
I would start with about 10V/ms for a 1Vrms audio signal and reduce it until you get an audible change in the sound when listing to music recorded at a high level, such as metal rock.

Last edited: