stumped on obtaining angle phaseof 0 degrees,and power factor close to unity?

baldhead2

Joined Sep 28, 2009
Hi, how do I choose a capacitor to get a phase angle equal to 0 degrees and a power facter that is close to unity? This is for power factor correction for an R-L motor with the motors voltage being 120Vrms,the current is .282Amps rms amps,the frequency is 60Hz,the true power(P) = 79.5mWatts,the reactive power(Q)=unknown,the apparent power(S)= 33.84 VA. What should the capacitor value be to obtain this task?

Thanks for taking time to help me with this head scratcher!

BALDHEAD2:confused:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Are you intending to put this capacitor across the "L" of the motor? If that is the case then you start with a capacitor that has the same reactance as the motor at the frequency of interest: 60 Hz. in this case. Whatever you do make sure you pick one with a voltage rating 2*Vpk= 2*120*SQRT(2) ~= 340V, or for whatever your mains voltage is.

I don't know if there is more that can or should be done, but you might want to ask someone who has tried it, to find out what results they achieved.

I would not be surprised if the results were a disappointment to you. Running the motor at its rated speed is one thing, but starting it from a dead stop is quite another thing altogether. If a simple capacitor is right for running it may be wrong for starting, or vice versa.

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
This is for power factor correction for an R-L motor with the motors voltage being 120Vrms,the current is .282Amps rms amps,the frequency is 60Hz,the true power(P) = 79.5mWatts,the reactive power(Q)=unknown,the apparent power(S)= 33.84 VA.
If the true power is only 79.5 milliwatts then you are a very long way from unity power factor! Where did these values come from - some measurements you made?

BTW - what exactly do you mean by a R-L motor? Is that a single phase induction motor?

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I am also having trouble believing the true power is 80 milli Watts. If the apparrent power is (as stated) almost 400X the true power, the reactive power and the apparrent power are nearly the same and real (true) power is negligible.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Are you intending to put this capacitor across the "L" of the motor? If that is the case then you start with a capacitor that has the same reactance as the motor at the frequency of interest: 60 Hz. in this case. Whatever you do make sure you pick one with a voltage rating 2*Vpk= 2*120*SQRT(2) ~= 340V, or for whatever your mains voltage is.

I don't know if there is more that can or should be done, but you might want to ask someone who has tried it, to find out what results they achieved.

I would not be surprised if the results were a disappointment to you. Running the motor at its rated speed is one thing, but starting it from a dead stop is quite another thing altogether. If a simple capacitor is right for running it may be wrong for starting, or vice versa.
That's my understanding as well. That's the "click" you hear when the refrig motor kicks on: the start cap is disconnected by a relay a second after it runs up.