Studying electronics engineering in Australian tafe. what to do next etc?

S_lannan

Joined Jun 20, 2007
Basically i'm studying a two year advanced diploma in an Australian TAFE.
Most of it is really basic stuff based on ohm's law. I'm only six months through this course and I'm pretty sure i know at least 60% of the whole course.

Roughly what we're doing seems to be loosely based on the the following...

Ohm's Law
Passive Filters
Resonant circuits... RC time constants
Multisim circuit simulation
DC Power supplies (BASIC STUFF weren't even examined on how to calculate a zener diode regulator...)
Advanced power supplies
Analog (simple bjt amplifiers, multistage bjt amplifiers)
Digital ( 74 series ic's, Gates etc. Mux demux blah blah blah etc)
Digital ( Micros, some assembly i guess)
C Programming ( pretty basic stuff involved here, simple i/o, structured programming, defining functions... )
RF stuff
TV's

and maybe a bit more etc.

I am certain now after I do this course I want to get into university. The question is while I do all this easy stuff what should i study in my spare time to make sure i'm prepared for all the advanced stuff in Uni?

Thanks, steve.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
One thing that you could do is pick a simple electronics project that involves using what you have learned so far in one of the area you outlined in your posting.

Application of new knowledge is a great way to confirm ingrain, and expand what you already know.

Once you have completed the project then pick another area and tackle a new one.

hgmjr

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/books/socratic/index.html

What is Socratic Electronics?

We live in a world where the accumulation of knowledge is exponential over time, and where the ability to continuously learn and make sound judgments is essential to survival. Formal education ought to play an important role in preparing individuals to succeed in this environment, but many traditional modes of education actually discourage development of independent thinking skills necessary for success.

The most important thing any educator can impart to a student, in any context, is the ability to teach themselves. When teachers dispense knowledge to students in the traditional lecture format -- where students passively watch and listen -- they deny students deep interaction with the subject matter. Furthermore, instructor-centered pedagogy assumes and reinforces the debilitating notion that education can only happen in the presence of a superior: You (the student) need me (the teacher) in order to learn

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You could do a lot worse than look at doing a few small experiments from Volume VI (http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/index.html) and reading up on the background sections in the e-book. This will develop you further academic knowledge in the subject and enhance your basic practical skills to a level where you are able to create your own projects. It will also give you some much needed practice training which some would argue is missing from modern university engineering courses.

Dave