Stucked in an elevator!

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Ever got stucked in an elevator? Experienced a "jumping" malfunction?

As for me, I got stucked several times in the same elevators, and once I was closed locked inside for one hour. And you?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I was voluntarily stuck in one once...

We had to change out the smoke detector in the top of a service elevator shaft in a downtown high-rise. The only way to get up there was to have one of us (me) use the key over-ride to hold at the 20th floor while another got atop the car from the manually opened door on the 21st. I then eased the car up until my parter was at a convenient height. Since I was between floors, the car doors would not open. I got paid full wages for reading [SIZE=-1]Musashi on my PDA for half an hour!

I really don't think I'd like being stuck at random!
[/SIZE]

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ever got stucked in an elevator? Experienced a "jumping" malfunction?

As for me, I got stucked several times in the same elevators, and once I was closed locked inside for one hour. And you?
Its happened to me once when it just stopped going up 4 floors, and all I thought was "at least I can get some sleep!". Seriously, its pretty scary stuff, however is a million times worse if you are stuck in there with a claustrophobic.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Its happened to me once when it just stopped going up 4 floors, and all I thought was "at least I can get some sleep!". Seriously, its pretty scary stuff, however is a million times worse if you are stuck in there with a claustrophobic.

Dave
Specially those old elevators from the 80's with manual doors. You need a long thin object like a ruller to put between the cabin and the wall/door and pull the lever that unlocks the door. The new ones let you pry the inner doors open. You can bail out if you are leveled or up to 1m above the floor.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Specially those old elevators from the 80's with manual doors. You need a long thin object like a ruller to put between the cabin and the wall/door and pull the lever that unlocks the door. The new ones let you pry the inner doors open. You can bail out if you are leveled or up to 1m above the floor.
This one was a touch retro to say the least! The buttons were bulky and felt like you were manually controlling the lift. Additionally the lighting made it feel like you were in a 1970s subway waiting to be mugged.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
This one was a touch retro to say the least! The buttons were bulky and felt like you were manually controlling the lift. Additionally the lighting made it feel like you were in a 1970s subway waiting to be mugged.

Dave
You mean, like one of those industrial lifts used in mining, with those big and heavy buttons?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You mean, like one of those industrial lifts used in mining, with those big and heavy buttons?
Actually it was at the physics department at a particular UK university, so it wasn't specifically for industrial use.

I have been in one of those industrial mine lifts before, however they are much more open than commercial lifts found in buildings these days. Actually for those mine lifts, you are more likely to fret if you are an acrophobic than a claustrophobic!

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Actually it was at the physics department at a particular UK university, so it wasn't specifically for industrial use.

I have been in one of those industrial mine lifts before, however they are much more open than commercial lifts found in buildings these days. Actually for those mine lifts, you are more likely to fret if you are an acrophobic than a claustrophobic!

Dave
Never got into one, but I guess it is not as confortable, especially when it starts/stops.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Never got into one, but I guess it is not as confortable, especially when it starts/stops.
Compared to modern lifts then yes they are a bit rocky, but in my experience the comfortability is pretty low down on the list of design priorities - either that or its a feature! :D

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the one we use in a nearby power plant is completely closed.
and the structure seems like u wont be able to pry it open-perfect conditions for a claustrophobic to freak out :D.
however i m yet to have my stuck in an elevator experience.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
and the structure seems like u wont be able to pry it open-perfect conditions for a claustrophobic to freak out :D.
Is that the reason it is closed? I know if such a situation were to arise here in the UK we would have the H&S officials onto us and risk assessments would be flying round like flies round the proverbial waste!! :D

Dave